Getting very High current consumption in tcp_client_powersave application

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
aktac_3789331
Level 2
Level 2

Hello Support,

I am evaluating the cypress CYW943907AEVAL1F module. And I am using the SDK version 6.0.1.5. I am using this SDK because of the discussion happened on the case Not getting the mentioned power numbers for CYW943907AEVAL1F .

When I use the example from the SDK and configure the macro TCP_CLIENT_INTERVAL(used for keeping the sleep interval) and measure a power with a  multimeter, I am getting around ~(60-70) mA current consumption. I think the module is not going to complete power save. I eve tried to use wiced_wifi_enable_powersave() instead of wiced_wifi_enable_powersave_with_throughput() but did not see any significant change in current numbers.

I am measuring the current(across IVBAT+IVDDIO) with modification done on the module given in the discussion Low Power Current Measurements Using CYW943907AEVAL1F .

I have taken the wireless capture and also took the numbers on DC analyzer. As per the wireless capture, the module is sending QoS null with power save bit enabled after TCP data transfer and connection is done(to be precise every 10 seconds as I configured in the macro TCP_CLIENT_INTERVAL). But in the analyzer logs,  I am not able to see the same behavior. Please find the attached snapshot for analyzer log and wireless capture also FYR.

Can anyone please tell me what am I missing here? Do I need to do some more changes in the application? I am attaching the application and snapshots (of the setup) for reference.

Thanks in advance,

Akash

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Akash,

The average current of 60 mA seems to be acceptable in a low power networking app where the system periodically connects to AP and send frames. You refer the powersave appnote for checking the power numbers of ping_powersave snip.

The patch I provided holds good for WICED 6.2 as there are problems in powersave of WICED 6.2 whereas it works for WICED 6.0.1. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

Kindly try the attached patch.

0 Likes

Hello Riya,

Thanks for this patch.

But Can you give me some steps/idea about how can I use it for the platform

CYW943907AEVAL1F in the WICED IDE?

Some user guide would be useful for me.

Thanks

Akash

0 Likes

Kindly replace the files in your WICED SDK with the files/directories provided in the attachment. You need not replace the CYW943907WAE4 file because you are using the CYW943907AEVAL1F platform.

0 Likes

Hello Riya,

I think some files are missing in the given patch, because after adding the files given in the patch, I am getting compilation errors. Attaching snapshot for one of the error that I got.

Moreover, FYR I am using the SDK version 6.0.1.5 as per the suggestion given in the case Not getting the mentioned power numbers for CYW943907AEVAL1F .

cypress_compilation_error.JPG

Thanks

Milan

0 Likes

Hello Milan,

This patch is for SDK 6.2

Hello Riya,

As per the case mentioned above(Not getting the mentioned power numbers for CYW943907AEVAL1F ), There are some issues related to the power save in the SDK 6.2. That is the reason I am using the SDK version 6.0.1.5. Can you please give changes to be done for SDK version 6.0.1.5?

Or can you please tell me whether the issues related to power save will get fixed with the Patch given by you? Then I will install the latest  version again and will give it a try again.

Thanks

Akash

0 Likes

Hello Akash,

The average current of 60 mA seems to be acceptable in a low power networking app where the system periodically connects to AP and send frames. You refer the powersave appnote for checking the power numbers of ping_powersave snip.

The patch I provided holds good for WICED 6.2 as there are problems in powersave of WICED 6.2 whereas it works for WICED 6.0.1.