CY8C4245LQI-483 Program memory corruption

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Cypress team,

We are using the CY8C4245LQI-483 in our 10 segment slider based LED task lamp. Refer the screen shot for product architecture

These segments used to control LED lamp ON/OFF, brightness increase/ Decrease by using different gestures Tap / Swipe or Touch

This product is in Pilot stage now and we have received the failed sample from field after 30 days of usage with the following condition:

1. While I touch 1st to 9th Segment, MCU was not producing any PWM Duty cycle as we have designed
  2. But only when I touch 10th segment ,MCU producing the PWM duty cycle as we have designed
  3. We have also user indicator (0603 size LED ) which is also based on the 1st to 10th segment sensitivity and the performance is fine for user indicator.
  4. Hence we concluded cap sensing is working  fine but LED lamp PWM O/P pin was NOT generating corresponding PWM duty cycle.
  5. We re-flashed the with the same .HEX file again in the field defect lamp and now problem solved , lamp started working fine.

Could you please guide us to understand the issue and share your suggestion to rectify it?

Thanks,

Nithiyanantham

0 Likes
7 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Are you using Emulated EEPROM component in your application? Please note that glitches in the power supply during flash writes may corrupt the flash.

After reprogramming the devices, are you seeing the issue again? If yes, please let us know after how long you are seeing the issue again?

Once you have seen the issue, if you reset the device have you seen any improvement?

Which version of CapSense component you are using? We recommend you to go with latest CapSense component (v3.10 or above).

How much is the power drawn from the PWM component? Please ensure that current drawing from PWM pin is as small as possible. Please check with different drive modes.

If possible, please attach the PSoC Creator project, gerber files of layout and schematic here to analyze.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Ganesh,

Thank you for your reply.

Here is our reply in yellow:

• Are you using Emulated EEPROM component in your application? Please note that glitches in the power supply during flash writes may corrupt the flash.

Altran - Yes, we are using emulated EEPROM to write some data. Please note that this defect observed in field after 30 days of fine working

• After reprogramming the devices, are you seeing the issue again? If yes, please let us know after how long you are seeing the issue again?

Altran – NO, In Defect sample we have reprogrammed once again and the sample working fine as expected so far.

• Once you have seen the issue, if you reset the device have you seen any improvement?

Altran - Device reset in the defect sample does not solve the issue but at some instances the PWM pin works as intended. Only when we re-flashed the same code again the device performs properly.

• Which version of Cap Sense component you are using? We recommend you to go with latest Cap Sense component (v3.10 or above).

Altran - ‘Cap Sense CSD’ v2.60 component is used

• How much is the power drawn from the PWM component? Please ensure that current drawing from PWM pin is as small as possible. Please check with different drive modes.

Altran - The PWM driving is good since it is working well once reprogrammed, also tested with many samples and PWM drive is only MOSFET gate drive only.

• If possible, please attach the PSoC Creator project, Gerber files of layout and schematic here to analyse.

Altran – We are discussing with Client once approved, we shall share the above information.

Thanks,

Nithiya

Regards,

Nithiyanantham Krishnasamy

E & E Engineer

Nithiyanantham.k@altran.com<mailto:Nithiyanantham.k@altran.com>

Mob. : +91 9790 575 191

Hanudev Info Park Pvt Ltd, ‘C Block’ SF. No: 558/2,

Udaiyampalayam Road, Nava India,

Coimbatore-641028, Tamil Nadu, India.

Phone: +91-422-2663299, Fax: +91-422-4332200

0 Likes
lock attach
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Ganesh,

Attached project source code for your review.

0 Likes

dear friend,

what i observed; if you keep the chip in unprotected mode. erase happens

although you use em_eprom or not.

it seems the internal hardware issue of the chip viz phy,etc.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:37 AM nithiyanantham.k_2861221 <

0 Likes

Hi,

>>"Yes, we are using emulated EEPROM to write some data.  Please note that this defect observed in field after 30 days of fine working."

--> Please test two devices one with enabling emulated EEPROM and other with not. Please check whether the flash is getting corrupted in either of the devices. To make this issue happen more frequently toggle the power very fast and check once.

>>"NO, In Defect sample we have reprogrammed once again and the sample working fine as expected so far."

--> Please do the tests by toggling power more frequently. Do this test with and without enabling Emulated EEPROM and check if the flash is getting corrupted.

>>"‘Cap Sense CSD’ v2.60 component is used"

--> It is strongly recommended to use CapSense V3.10 or above for better performance of the application.

>>"The PWM driving is good since it is working well once reprogrammed, also tested with many samples and PWM drive is only MOSFET gate drive only."

--> Please ensure that the power drawn by the UART/PWM pins is less than 4mA in source mode and less than 8mA in sink mode.

>>"We are discussing with Client once approved, we shall share the above information."

--> Okay.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Ganesh,

Per your recommendation we will do the test.

Have you had chance to review the code I shared.

Thanks,

Nithiya

0 Likes
deda_294911
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome!

please see my discussion/case mar 27 2018 regarding the same. in my opinion what you are saying may happen in fraction of second, min. hr,day,month,----

if you are using em_eeprom/writing flash.

what i observed; a>you can not protect the chip if you are using em_eeprom with miniprog,etc.

b> erasing happens at power off if supply rail dances in between 0 - 3 V.D.C.

i got answer from our team to use SFLASH(this component is not available for us in this family)

for my that project i simply change arm controller from cypress to other

0 Likes