For S25FL128S, when does the WIP turn 1 at the bulk erase operation?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
xiaowei_li_3787
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I am using the flash chips of CYPRESS,S25FL128SAGNFI000, but I have a question that i don't understand..

At the Erase part, 9.6.3,

"As soon as CS# is driven into the logic high state, the erase cycle will be initiated. With the erase cycle in progress, the user can

read the value of the Write-In Progress (WIP) bit to determine when the operation has been completed. The WIP bit will indicate a 1

when the erase cycle is in progress and a 0 when the erase cycle has been completed."

here the question:

At first , the WIP should be 0.

1,when the CS turn to low and input the bulk erase instruction to the chip, and then the CS goes high. At this operation, when the WIP turn to 1?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Community

Erase cycle is initiated only after CS# goes HIGH. WIP bit also goes HIGH at the same time.

WIP bit goes LOW when the erase operation is completed.

Thanks ans Regards,

Apurva

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Community

Erase cycle is initiated only after CS# goes HIGH. WIP bit also goes HIGH at the same time.

WIP bit goes LOW when the erase operation is completed.

Thanks ans Regards,

Apurva

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for your help.

According to what you said, if I can understand like this:

After the erase instruction sent to the chip, and the CS# goes high,(the WIP goes high too).

then i can monitor the SR1's WIP bit from the CS# goes high, and when the WIP is 0, it means the erase operation is completed.

Is the understanding right ?

And there is another question,

at the program commands, first the CS# goes low, and then we send the instruction to the chip , then the address, then the data, and at last set the CS# high .

at these operations, when the WIP goes high(hasn't complete the operation) and when the WIP goes low(complete the operation)?

looking forward for your reply.Thanks..

0 Likes

Hi,

Your understanding about WIP bit during erase operation is correct.

Regarding your second query, during program commands the WIP bit goes HIGH after CS# is made HIGH.

Any command execution begins only after CS# goes HIGH. So once the CS# is made HIGH, the WIP bit also goes HIGH indicating programming in progress. When the programming is complete, WIP bit goes LOW.

Thanks and Regards,

Apurva 

0 Likes

Thank you so much for your answer.

It really helps a lot ...

0 Likes