Requirements for connecting to UART_to_BLE project...

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rotu_3236376
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hello-

Can someone tell me what is the minimum requirement needed to make a BLE connections to the UART_to_BLE_Central and UART_to_BLE_Peripheral projects? I am trying to connect to a custom device running this code using Bluetooth4 BLE protocols.

Is it only Bluetooth Address?  Or UUID?  Or Manufacturing Data?  Some sample code to establish connection would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Rohan

0 Likes
1 Solution

The service UUID is just to decide on which device to connect to. Once you start the scanning process, you will receive advertising packets. Check the advertising packets to see if the device has the service you want. If the device has the service you want, the advertising packet will also have BD address of the device. You can use this BD/Mac Address to start a connection. So BD/Mac address is the main thing required to uniquely identify and connect to a device.

Yeshwanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Yeshwanth_KT
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 likes received

Hello,

Since this a custom service, the proper way to connect is to scan for all BLE devices around and then initiate connection to the one which has the desired custom service UUID.

Thanks,

Yeshwanth

0 Likes

Hello Yeshwanth,

Thank you for your response.  So is the only thing required is the Custom Service UUID?  Nothing else required for connection?

Rohan

0 Likes

The service UUID is just to decide on which device to connect to. Once you start the scanning process, you will receive advertising packets. Check the advertising packets to see if the device has the service you want. If the device has the service you want, the advertising packet will also have BD address of the device. You can use this BD/Mac Address to start a connection. So BD/Mac address is the main thing required to uniquely identify and connect to a device.

Yeshwanth

0 Likes

Ok I understand this part.  But is what you are explaining is how the "UART_to_BLE_Central " code works?  As I am trying to make this connection without modifying the Day 20 "UART_to_BLE_Central " sample code from Cypress.  I believe it should work out of the box.  Please let me know if code modifications should be applied.

Thanks,

Rohan

0 Likes

Yes, the code will work out of the box. If you want to create a custom Central and peripheral of your own then follow the method I explained.

Regards,

Yeshwanth

0 Likes

Do you have any sample code that uses this example solution to connect to a iOS app?

0 Likes

Yes I know this thread but it does not address the question.  Do you think the CySmart App on iOS platform will help?  Where can I obtain this code?

0 Likes