How to combine the bootloader, DCT, and Application .bin files?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

[WICED-SDK-2.3.0]

Is there an easy way to have the compiler output a single binary for the bootload, DCT, and application sections of the STM32F2XX each time it is built?

0 Likes
16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
These scripts let you read/write/verify the STM32 flash image.

The scripts assume STM32F205
Anonymous
Not applicable

The scripts referred to in this post are now part of the WICED-SDK2.4.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

what build string is used? bcm943362wd2? this is the only platform i see the stm32f1xx used - which is the correct processor for the murata sn8200. I wonder if evk is the same version.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Build string parameter should be BCM943362WCD2.

RiPe_1726966
Level 1
Level 1
This solution helps our development, but this is not the final solution we are looking for. In order to explain, let me state our current situation:

We have a product with an SN8200 module, and an SN8200EVK development board. Our firmware is developed using the WICED 2.3.1 framework. Part of the development is done on the SN8200EVK, which is easily programmed via WICED. However, getting the firmware on our product is more of a challenge. We now use WICED to download our firmware to the SN8200EVK, then retrieve that firmware using the above workaround, so that we can use our ST-LINK programmer to download that file to our product.

This is quite time-consuming, but apart from that, later on in production we want to have a per-product DCT. Using WICED to flash an SN8200EVK with bootloader, application, and DCT, then retrieving that image as a single binary, then flashing it to our destination product is not feasible in production. I am therefore still looking for a way to use the binaries produced by WICED to directly flash our products firmware.

I can see several directions to solve this:

-) Get openocd to work with the SN8200, so that the exact steps WICED now takes to flash the SN8200EVK can also be used manually to flash a standalone SN8200. I have compiled the openocd sources with ST-LINK functionality included, but I cannot get the configuration files right.

-) Have some procedure to combine binaries without having to use a SN8200EVK.

-) Perhaps use another programmer, one that is supported by WICED and which is able to flash the SN8200. We use this connection on our device to program it: http://www.tag-connect.com/TC2030-IDC-NL , so that programmer should support that connector.

Can you give us directions how to proceed?
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
I completely understand your requirement.

We are currently working on:

* a tool that automatically concatenates the DCT, production app and bootloader.

* a tool to generate a per-device DCT binary that can be programmed at the factory

We expect this functionality will be available with SDK-2.4.0 due out mid-late July
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

What is the status of the above mentioned tools?   Are they available in the current beta of 2.4?  If so, how does one use them?

Thanks,

Dick
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
This will be available in the official 2.4.0 release which is due October 14, 2013.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are looking forward to these tools as well, any word on the release date?
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in a similar situation. I want to reprogram the SN8200 for a standalone SMTP client using the SDK.

I do have olimex openocd working directly in the wiced ide. I never had the sn8200evk - I used the demo units from Farnell/ember to get started. what example files did you get with the evk -( is it the normal sn8200 unit )- which build target is used?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
The official 2.4.0 release has been slightly delayed.

We are looking at providing a release candidate later this week to keep you moving.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

2.4.0 release is out, but it still seems to generate by default separate binaries for DCT and application. Is there some info how to concatenate them?

0 Likes

I too need this ability.  Any new information?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We are facing same problem with SN8200 module. We are using Wiced SDK 2.4.1 and ST-Link programmer to download our application into our SN8200 PCB. How can we combine these binaries, app.bin , DCT.bin and bootloader.bin, into single binary? Is there any target string available for wiced SDK 2.4.1?

Thanks,

Nipam

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used an olimex openocd and changed the build string to suit. Not all the samples would fit in the chip. I had to mess about with openocd script but it did work well. Not been looking at this lately but I think you need to look at the list of supported targets for the exact micro type.

Target = BCM943362WCD2.

Openocd scripts simply flashed everthing - it was the same setup as the broadcom demo board that murata used for sn8200 (sychip)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Adamtwatson,

Thanks for your response.

Yes Olimex openocd is one option and it is used JTAG pins to download a firmware. But problem is that our designed SN8200 Hardware board has only UART pins which will be used to download a firmware into our SN8200 Hardware board, not JTAG pins. As Murata firmware "SN8200-SNIC-UART-03-37191.bin", available in Murata software kit, is downloaded successfully into our Hardware board using UART but not when Wiced IDE is used. So if I can combine these binaries (App.bin, DCT.bin and bootloader.bin) into single binary, then only I can download my firmware into our designed Hardware board. So is it possible to combine these binaries into single binary?

Thanks,

Nipam

0 Likes