FCC of BCM20737S SIP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I read these documents:

http://community.broadcom.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/1737-102-2-1742/20737S-DS100-R.pdf

http://community.broadcom.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/1072-102-6-1758/Broadcom%20BCM20732S%2...

Because of my poor English skill, I can't understand clearly about FCC of  BCM20737S.

If I make my custom board with BCM20737S, can I release it in U.S. without any special procedures?

In short, in the case of making a custom baord with BSM20737S and selling it in U.S., is there are violating the law?

Although there is not any radio function with the exception of BCM20737S, do I have to engage with an accredited test lab to determine whether my custom board violates or not?

I'm sorry for the naive question.

Sincerely

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shipping/selling your product in Japan, BCM20737S has fully certified and you don't need to get any ID.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to do EMC test with your product and display your FCC ID.

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I thought below is a good thread on this discussion

FCC approval for BCM20736S

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response, dmiya and boont.

I read this thread: FCC approval for BCM20736S

In this thread, mwf_mmfae says, "The two chips  are identical other than firmware.  It should be safe" and "I just confirmed with our regulatory team that all 3 models will have the same regulatory model number (BCM20732S), covered under the same FCC and NCC IDs.".

So, I thought that BCM20732S/6S/7S are contified and have FCC ID.

Doesn't BCM20737S have FCC ID as stand-alone?

>You need to do EMC test with your product and display your FCC ID.

Do I need to do EMC test with my product nonetheless?

Well then, what is the meaning of FCC ID of BCM20737S?

Best regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

> Do I need to do EMC test with my product nonetheless?

Correct.

You need to use your own FCC ID and get authorization letter from Broadcom.

If the spurious test result is good enough, you can sell your product with the FCC ID.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response, dmiya.

>You need to use your own FCC ID and get authorization letter from Broadcom.

Oh...I see.

>If the spurious test result is good enough, you can sell your product with the FCC ID.

I'm sorry that I can't understand you clearly.

If I we use the FCC ID of BCM20737S without EMC test, do we violate the law, don't we?

What is the disadvantage to us in the case of using the spurious test result?

Best regards

0 Likes

We have done most of the testing (75%) for you, but there are still a few that you will need to do as well (end product will determine exact tests needed).

The Test Lab you engage with will be able to help you determine which tests are needed.

The process for obtaining a Letter of Authorization is outlined here: Broadcom BCM20732S/BCM20736S/BCM20737S Regulatory Approvals

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for  your response, mwf_mmfae.

We have done most of the testing (75%) for you, but there are still a few that you will need to do as well (end product will determine exact tests needed).

OK. I understand.

The Test Lab you engage with will be able to help you determine which tests are needed.

I will contact Test Lab in Japan.

Is this the same in Technical Regulations Conformity Certification like FCC ID?

Do we need to our own Technical Regulations Conformity Certification ID in Japan, don't we?

Best regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shipping/selling your product in Japan, BCM20737S has fully certified and you don't need to get any ID.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

mwf_mmfaedmiya

>We have done most of the testing (75%) for you, but there are still a few that you will need to do as well (end product will determine exact tests needed).

>You need to use your own FCC ID and get authorization letter from Broadcom.

I'm sorry for my naive question.

You say that we have to do test for our own circuit or product. However,

in this pdf:http://community.broadcom.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/1072-102-6-1758/Broadcom%20BCM20732S%2...

BCM20732S, BCM20736S, BCM20737S seems that they have FCC ID:QDS-BRCM1078.

What does this FCC ID mean, if we have to get new FCC ID?

What is it for? Is it meaningless?

Best regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gell,

If you will ship and sell your products using BCM20737S in U.S., you need to follow below instruction for FCC certification.

FCC Certification Flow for Broadcom module products

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi dmiya

Thank you for your early reply.

OK. I see.

Please let me confirm.

In short, BCM20737S isn't certified by FCC as a RF module.

So, we have to get certified FCC with our custom board.

Is it correct?

Best regards

0 Likes

The BCM2073XS family is certified, but the certification level is LMA or "Limited Modular Approval"

So most of the certification is complete, but because we did not put a metal housing/shield over the device, there is still some level of system certification that needs to be done on the end product.

The document that dmiya linked to above offers some guidance, but you should still work with a local test house in your region to confirm exactly what is needed for your specific end product.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, mwf_mmfae

Thank you for your reply.

>So most of the certification is complete, but because we did not put a metal housing/shield over the device, there is still some level of system certification that needs to be done on the end product.

>The document that dmiya linked to above offers some guidance, but you should still work with a local test house in your region to confirm exactly what is needed for your specific end product.

I see. Perhaps, I understood about FCC ID of BCM20737S.

Then, please let me ask you about FCC certification.

If we need some documents related to BCM2073XS when we do examination to certify that our custom board complies FCC, can we receive some documents from you?

In addition, in Japan, is there a good facility to test?

Best regards

0 Likes

dmiya has the set of certification documents we provide to customers.  He will provide.

He may also be able to recommend a certification facility in Japan as well as I am not familiar with any in that part of the world.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your early reply.

>dmiya has the set of certification documents we provide to customers.  He will provide.

He may also be able to recommend a certification facility in Japan as well as I am not familiar with any in that part of the world.

I see.

dmiya, please tell me about a certification facility in japan.

I'm sorry to bothering you, mwf_mmfae.

>The BCM2073XS family is certified, but the certification level is LMA or "Limited Modular Approval"

>So most of the certification is complete, but because we did not put a metal housing/shield over the device, there is still some level of system certification that needs to be done on the end product.

>The document that dmiya linked to above offers some guidance, but you should still work with a local test house in your region to confirm exactly what is needed for your specific end product.

In other words, BCM20737S isn't certified in FCC Part 15 Subpart C but is certified in Subpart B?

I think BCM20737S is much more easier to program than nRF51822 of Nordic. So, I want to use BCM20737S in my custom board. However, if I have to pay much to get FCC certification, I can't help to switching to 3rd party modules of Nordic certified FCC completely etc....Why isn't there some small BCM20737S modules which exert full potential (communication range ~50m) of BCM20737S and is certified FCC completely. Then, why isn't BCM20737S certified FCC perfectly? I'm very sad....

Best regards

0 Likes

Per the user business and the thread here: Re: Europe and Canada approval for BCM20732S

The following FCC 15-B and 15-C tests need to be completed when leveraging the regulatory we have completed for the 2073XS SIP module:

• FCC Part B 15.109; (spurious emission)
  • FCC Part C 15.207;  (transmitter test)
  • FCC Part C 15.247; (transmitter test)

The test house you decide to work with should be able to provide a quote for the subset of tests needed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi gell,

I'll send private message about certification lab.

Please check your inbox.

0 Likes