GPIF Master Interface with FX3 - FPGA Slave- Bulk-in transfer issue and questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm trying to develop my own GPIF interface using the FX3 as a master and a Slave FIFO in my FPGA with the HSMC interconnect board, based on the examples in the SuperSpeed Design book and the AN65974 application note.

First, I'm trying to write and read to/from the Slave FIFO using separated projects.

• I'm trying to read data from the FPGA, apparently, the DMA buffer where the data it's written get's filled correctly but when I try to take out the data with a bulk-in transfer in the host-pc with the USB Control Center I get the timming error and zero data... Maybe I'm configuring wrong the Endpoint and the USB consumer socket for that DMA Channel (it's configured in AUTO mode), how's the connection of that USB consumer socket with the Endpoint-in that host-pc is getting data from? Any help?

• Also, seems like the writing process (getting data from the host and write it in the FPGA) is okay, but in the examples of the book is written that drive a GPIO signal takes two clock cycles, so I have to wait two cycles to drive data after driving or assert the WR signal, using  the SignalTap-logic analyzer tool of Quartus it seems this latency does not exist and I lost the first two data words, why?

• What's the best manner to drive the clock signal from the FX3 to the FPGA?

Thanks for your attention!

Ian.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks srdr!

Using a Manual DMA Channel, and Debug Print I could find the error, I was unproperly configuring the P-Port (GPIF) clock, the error was CYU3P_PIB_ERR_THR0_ADAP_OVERRUN and the problem was that the DMA controller couldn't keep up with the incoming data rate because my GPIF clock (that was driven to the FPGA too) was configured to 200 MHz when the max frequency is supposed to be 100 MHz.

Hope, this can be useful for someone else!

Ian.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hi,

I hope that you have gone through AN87216.

Reading:

How did you confirm that the buffer is being filled?

Please share the screen shot of timing error that you have seen.

Writing:

Which book you have referred here? Super speed design by example?

Clock Driving:

When you set the GPIF in Master Mode, FX3 can drive the clock.

What is your expectation of best manner to drive?

It would be good if one community thread addresses one issue: Reading issues in one thread and Writing issues in another thread. Please create another thread to address writing issues. We shall continue reading issues in this thread.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer, I will separate the issues, and continue with the reading issues here only.

I've read AN87216 too,

With the Signal Tap Logic Analyzer I'm monitoring the DMA flags for the socket (Thread 0) I'm using and I can check that the buffer gets filled, here is the screenshot of the logic analyzer

pastedImage_2.png

The data I'm reading is not relevant now, it's just a counter, the RD signal is for the Slave FIFO, OE for driving the bi-directional data bus, DMA_WM_0 the partial flag for Thread and socket 0 with watermark 8 and DMA_RDY_0 the full flag for the same thread and socket..... I keep RD high until DMA_WM_0 is asserted, then read the last words from the FPGA and fill the buffer in the FX3, apparently the buffer gets filled but when I try to get the data with a Bulk-in transfer from the host-pc I get this error

pastedImage_3.png

Thanks!

Ian.

0 Likes

Please use DMA Manual Channel and check for producer event in the DMA Call. You can set a flag in the Producer Event and print the debug print in the main loop (if the flag is set). This will confirm that the buffer is full from the DMA Perspective.

The error 997 is timeout error. This comes if the request is not served within the time.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I changed the DMA Channel configuration from AUTO to MANUAL,

I think It will be good to say that I'm using the SlaveFIFO firmware from the AN65974... I just changed the GPIF State Machine header file with the one I made (with the FX3 as a master) and change the DMA watermark values for the partial flag for the threads, in theory this should works since the only difference is how the GPIF interacts with the FPGA right?

So using debug print to find where was the error, I've got this message

pastedImage_1.png

Everything seems to be fine with the endpoints, creating the DMA Manual Channels and setting them active, after starting the transference from the FPGA to GPIF is when I get this number Error:19 , which is printted by this next part of the code from AN65974

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

Thanks again for your help!

Ian.

0 Likes

Ian,

It looks like you are facing the overrun error. This error comes when the dma buffer is over flow. Mainly, when the flow control mechanism is not proper.

Please share the modified GPIF State machine and firmware.

Please let me know what is the size of data you read from FPGA. Is this fixed size or varies? Based on this, we can move the flow control mechanism to FPGA itself. Hence, we can get rid of water marks flags in the design.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

For now I'm trying with a fixed size of 1024 bytes, but the intention is to make it variable later, I'd like to have all the flow control on the FX3 side. If the size of transfer is fixed, I could you use a counting mechanism in the FX3 right? Maybe using the state repeat count option in the GPIF II Designer?

I'm using as a reference the GPIF State Machines in the SuperSpeed Device Design by Example, more specifically the GPIF_Example8, I changed the watermark configurations based on it. Here they are the modified files, GPIF State Machine and firmware.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks srdr!

Using a Manual DMA Channel, and Debug Print I could find the error, I was unproperly configuring the P-Port (GPIF) clock, the error was CYU3P_PIB_ERR_THR0_ADAP_OVERRUN and the problem was that the DMA controller couldn't keep up with the incoming data rate because my GPIF clock (that was driven to the FPGA too) was configured to 200 MHz when the max frequency is supposed to be 100 MHz.

Hope, this can be useful for someone else!

Ian.

0 Likes