can't launch an openocd session from EZ-USB FX3 Suite

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ScGr_289066
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi All,

I am having problems launching an OpenOCD session.  I've followed the instructions configuring the session for my target interface, the CY7C65215, but when I try to open it, I get this error dialog:

pastedImage_1.png

Here's my setup:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Thanks for your help,

Scott

0 Likes
1 Solution

Following items should be checked before doing the GDB Open OCD Debugging.

1.In the control center three devices should be present as shown in below image.

pastedImage_1.png

2.If Cypress USB Bootloader device is missing - then check the PMODE pins of FX3 whether it indicates USB Boot. If it is there then please check whether the device is bound to any other driver in the device manager. If yes, then update the driver to Cypress cyusb3 (which can be found in FX3 SDK).

3.If USB Serial (Dual Channel) Vendor1 and Vendor MFG are missing-then Follow the steps

1. open the USB-serial configuration utility, the utility comes up with two active tabs-- start page and select target.

2.On the " select target" tab, after you select the required device from the Select Device field, click Connect to establish connection with the       device. On successful connection, the utility opens following device tab.

pastedImage_10.png

4. USB serial device(CY7C65215-32LTXI) has two SCBs (SCB0 and SCB1) don't change the SCBO default configurations. On the "SCB1" tab, Select JTAG from the Mode drop-down list to configure SCB to operate as JTAG.

pastedImage_13.png

If above are fine, there should be no debug issues.

I tried to Debug the SlaveFifoAsync (FX3 example) firmware using open ocd debugger with Windows-10.It works fine.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
alamandaa_16
10 likes received First like received

Hi,

On the "Main" tab, please select Debug\aj-13-00283.elf path in C/C++ Application window.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes

Hi Anil,

Thanks for the reply.  That triggers a new error:

pastedImage_0.png

Scott

0 Likes

Hi,

On the "Debugger" tab, please do that replace ${cross_prefix}gdb${cross_suffix} variable with   arm-none-eabi-gdb${cross_suffix}.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

Hi Anil,

Thanks.  This got me a little further.

pastedImage_0.png

Scott

0 Likes

Hi Anil,

Your latest suggestion, which isn't shown in this thread got me a little further.  I didn't have The SuprtSpeed Explorer Kit installed, so I added it, then changed the settings as you suggester.  On attempting to launch the debugger, the status bar at the bottom-right of Eclipse showed 62% complete loading and hung there (for minutes).  I tried several restarts, and now get this dialog:

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks for your help,

Scott

0 Likes

After a restart of the PC and target:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Hi,

The SuperSpeed Explorer Kit uses CY7C65215 USB-Serial IC as an integrated Debugger. CY7C65215 is a full-speed USB-Serial bridge controller that offers two configurable serial communications blocks (SCBs). The SuperSpeed Explorer Kit uses the first serial channel of the CY7C65215 as a UART and the second serial channel as a JTAG interface.

1. open the USB-serial configuraion utility,The utility comes up with two active tabs-- start page and select target.

2.On the " select target" tab,After you select the required device from the Select Device field, click Connect to establish connection with the device. On successful connection, the utility opens following device tab.

Capture.PNG

3. USB serial device(CY7C65215-32LTXI) has two SCBs( SCB0 and SCB1)

don't change the SCBO default configurations.

4.On the "SCB1" tab, Select JTAG from the Mode drop-down list to configure SCB to operate as JTAG.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes

Hi Aani,

Yes, that's exactly what I did -- configure SCB1 as JTAG.  It isn't

working with EZ USB.

Scott

0 Likes

Hi,

Following items has to be checked before doing the JTAG debug:

1. In the Control center three devices should be present as shown in the below image.

Capture.PNG

2. If Cypress USB Bootloader device is missing - then please check the PMODE pins of FX3 whether it indicates USB Boot. If it is there then please check whether the device is bound to any other driver in the device manager. If yes, then please update the driver to Cypress cyusb3 (which can be found in FX3 SDK)

If above are fine,There should be no debug issues.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes

Hi Aani,

I see two of the three, as you suspected, the bootloader device is missing.

Unfortunately, due to a PCB error, the PMODE pins on the CX3 (CYUSB3064)

are all floating.  Does this mean that the debugger is disabled?  There

are no traces attached to PMODE[2:0], so I can't control their states. 

Is there any workaround?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes

Hi,

-Please share the screenshots of device manager,control center and debugg errors.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes

Hi Anil,

On your suggestion that our problems are being caused by the improper

strapping of the CX3's PMODE pins (all our pins are floating due to a

PCB issue), we have sent the boards to a repair facility to get PMODE1

tied to Vcc to activate the USB bootloader.  So I don't have any boards

here to experiment with. They will be back this time next week.  You

were correct that control center showed only two of the three devices.

Unfortunately, without any boards attached to my PC, none of the screen

shots will have meaning.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Anil,

To help get to the bottom of this problem I ordered a FX3 Superspeed

explorer kit that arrived today.  I hooked up both the USB3 and USB2

ports of the board and tried invoking the debugger. Here's the dialog:

The file, arm926ejs_FX3.cfg, is clearly present in the named directory.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes

Hi Scott,

Please refer "EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf. chapter 3.2 of the document explain the JTAG debugging steps in detail. Please follow the same and let us know if you are still facing the issue. The document can be found in the FX3 SDK installation directory.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes

Hi Anil,

I do not have this document on my computer, can you send me a copy?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Scott,

Please see the attached file.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi Anil,

you forgot the attachment, but your colleague sent it to me yesterday. 

I followed the instructions.  But when installing JLINK it didn't show

me an association with Eclipse, only an association with Atmel Studio

(which I also use, with far less problems).  Continuing on, I launched

the JLink debugger and got this error:

So it's still not working.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes

Following items should be checked before doing the GDB Open OCD Debugging.

1.In the control center three devices should be present as shown in below image.

pastedImage_1.png

2.If Cypress USB Bootloader device is missing - then check the PMODE pins of FX3 whether it indicates USB Boot. If it is there then please check whether the device is bound to any other driver in the device manager. If yes, then update the driver to Cypress cyusb3 (which can be found in FX3 SDK).

3.If USB Serial (Dual Channel) Vendor1 and Vendor MFG are missing-then Follow the steps

1. open the USB-serial configuration utility, the utility comes up with two active tabs-- start page and select target.

2.On the " select target" tab, after you select the required device from the Select Device field, click Connect to establish connection with the       device. On successful connection, the utility opens following device tab.

pastedImage_10.png

4. USB serial device(CY7C65215-32LTXI) has two SCBs (SCB0 and SCB1) don't change the SCBO default configurations. On the "SCB1" tab, Select JTAG from the Mode drop-down list to configure SCB to operate as JTAG.

pastedImage_13.png

If above are fine, there should be no debug issues.

I tried to Debug the SlaveFifoAsync (FX3 example) firmware using open ocd debugger with Windows-10.It works fine.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes