BCM20732S layout

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the intention to use BCM20732S for my new project. As my PCB size is rather small, i have some limitation on the spcae for BCM20732S.

On the layout, please refer to page 23 of module datasheet.

My questions:

1) In the first picture above, the L-shape GND is on the top layer? Meaning to say we can actually route traces and place components inside? Or it simply means the whole L-shape GND on top layer must be cleared?

2) 2nd picture, this should be a 2nd layer GND (internal). Meaning to say it has to be in one whole big piece without any breaksge? Or can I follow the shape from the 1st picture above?

In simple context, for the L-shaped GND, if it is meant for Antenna use, can I lay components and route traces on top of the L-shaped GND, but i will make sure there is no breakage of the GND along the way if this L-Shaped GND is on the top layer?

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes
1 Solution

kelvin.quah

Please send an email to communities-list@broadcom.com and I will email you the document I have today.

It's rough and is unsupported, but you may find it helpful.

kwang

View solution in original post

0 Likes
24 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

1) (pg22) Yes, the ground is on top layer. The ground is actually a "L-shape" with a width of at least 3mm. And you cannot place any components within this "3mm" boundary.

2) (pg23) The ground is on second layer. This is a more practical approach as you can still place your components on L1 and maintain the L-shape ground on L2.

Yes, the L-shape ground is to achieve antenna efficiency. And as I said, the approach in (2) is a better one.

Btw, is there an opportunity for you to move to 20736S? The current SDK (ver 2.2.1) is not backward compatible with 20732.

BoonT_56
Employee
Employee

top.jpg

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee

second.jpg

SECOND

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee

stack.jpg

Stacked together

0 Likes
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee

Is this still an issue? kelvin.quah

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not of an issue. Its more for understanding how to use this part with best layout. So can i say if I use the GND on the inner layer, i can lay components right up to the edge of the BCM20732/6/7S chipset on the top layer?

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes

I am unable to figure your orientation, but do try to "achieve" something like the TOP layer that I have posted above.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Boon T

One quick question, from the layout provided, can i safely say this module do not even require any tuning on the Antenna path?

It is simply a plug and play if i follow your layout?

0 Likes

The SIP module will not require any tuning on its antenna path. However I strongly advised you to adhere to the L-shape ground so that the antenna efficiency is maintained.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

DO you have a reference design for BCM20737S?

I have some question on the Wiced sense reference design using BCM20737S thuogh.

Eg for pin 25, it is described as a pin tied to WP pin of embedded EEPROM. Will require a external pull high resistor. But in the reference design, pin25 is links to RTS_SCI (UART) of CP2105?

And pin 26 TMC, in datasheet it says remains unconnected if not in used.  This pin is connected to GND though INTERNAL 10K ressitor. But in the reference design, even thuogh this pin is not used, it is not unconnected. In fact it is connected to GND through an EXTERNAL 10K resistor.

Any advise which to follow?

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Kelvin,

The reference design for the BCM20737S is the iBeacon Module design:

iBeacon BCM20737S Reference Design Overview

iBeacon BCM20737S Reference Design PDF Schematic (Module)

1.  The UART of the CP2105 is connected to P3.

pastedImage_2.png

2.  Connect GND through EXTERNAL 10K resistor.

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BT,

Thanks for your reference schematics.

Question, can i understand more on the use of P0 and P15 in the schematics?

P0 i can understand it is just a normal GPIO for the power on/off.

What about P15?

What is the use for this? Do i need to include this in my design?

And for debugging, for BCM20737S, is the debugging using UART only? Or do i even need to debug?

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BT,

One more question,how is programming done in this module?  Through UART?

If it is, my communications to my CPU on board is through UART, any protection circuit to be used here?

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes

Can i refer you to "WICED Smart HW Interfaces" doc within the SDK for more details on the GPIOs?

Yes through uart. But I am not aware that there is a need to deploy protection circuit. So is your module going to connect to a host?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI BT,

Yes, my module will be connected to a HOST.

Is there any documents on programming guide? Eg, during programming, the module must be in reset state etc? Meaning hold reset pin low until programming done?

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BT,

I read form the WICED HW interface document, there are 2 UART. One is HCI UART which inside describes it is used for programming and factory testing. And this HCI UART is not meant for application use.

My next question, if i use BCM20737S in my project, I need not do any programming? Everything is supplied from BCM when i purchased the module?

Please advise.

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BT,

Sorry for asking so many questions in different emails.

All my train of thoughts are coming as I am doing up my schematics. So sorry about it.

One more question, do you have the Antenna performance simulation for BCM20737S? I need to know how should i orientate my module in order to get the best performance from it.

Thanks

Kelvin

0 Likes

There is a antenna performance guide that is currently going through gewing for formatting.  It should be up on the website within the next week or two.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Is the Antenna report available for viewing?

I am interested to see the radiation pattern on different orientation for BCM20737S

Thanks

0 Likes

There is an antenna performance document that we are currently working with our gewing group to release.  It should be available in the next 2-3 weeks.

david_armour

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great news Mike, thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

kelvin.quah

Please send an email to communities-list@broadcom.com and I will email you the document I have today.

It's rough and is unsupported, but you may find it helpful.

kwang

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

kelvin.quah is this still an issue?

0 Likes

You program the device through the HCI UART (it's dedicated to this function).  In fact, that is the only type of programming supported.

You can program the device using either the SDK, or the command line tools described here: Programming the TAG2/TAG3 Board using command line tools

0 Likes