Query regarding the CYUSB3KIT-001 -FX3 USB Evaluation Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team ,

We are using a CYUSB3KIT-001 –Cypress Evaluation board for the USB Validation , it act as a Device , and I have USB Test fixture which acts as a Host.

For performing the USB 3.0 Compliance validation , we need to get a LFPS signal from the device.

In order to get the LFPS signal the device has to initiate the Receiver (Rx) detection path.

Is there any provision to initiate the Rx detection in the Evaluation board(Device) CYUSB3KIT-001?

If it is enabled ,then only we can get the LFPS signal from the Host.

Please help me on this and let me know how do we go further for doing the compliance validation for USB3.0

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keaj ,

Thank you for your reply..

Now we used the USB3.0 cable for USB3.0 enumeration.

Now we can observe LPFS signal from the USB test fixture.

Thank you for support.

If I need any help further i will let you know.

Regards,

Aruna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
Keerthy_V
First like given 250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored

Hi ,

You should make sure that the chip is programmed with a valid USB 3.0 firmware.

Please load one of the FX3 SDK example project to the I2C EEPROM/SPI FLASH and change the PMODE for I2C/SPI boot mode. Please use FX3 SDK 1.3 or above for building the project.

Before starting the compliance test, make sure that FX3 is enumerating as USB 3.0 device in your PC/Laptop.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keaj,

Thanks for your Reply.

As per your reply, We have programmed with the USB 3.0 firmware.

We have loaded one of the example project to SPI FLASH and changed the PM mode to SPI boot mode device.

After that also we are not able to get the LFPS signal from the device, where USB test fixture is acts a Host.

Please let us know how do we get the LFPS signal.

0 Likes
Keerthy_V

Hi,

1)Did you check the USB 3.0 enumeration in the PC?

2)Can you please use the bulksrcsink firmware for your test? The project will be available in your FX3 SDK installation directory : C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\basic_examples\cyfxbulksrcsink

Please collect the UART log when:

i)FX3 is connected to the PC

ii)FX3 is connected to the test fixture

3)The FX3 will not send LFPS signal if it is not detecting the receiver termination. Please check.

4)Can you please attach the photo of your test setup?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keaj ,

Thank you for your reply..

Now we used the USB3.0 cable for USB3.0 enumeration.

Now we can observe LPFS signal from the USB test fixture.

Thank you for support.

If I need any help further i will let you know.

Regards,

Aruna

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Keaj , 

Thanks for your support.

Still we have some queries on the cypress board with USB test fixture.

How do we generate the LFPS signal for CP0 and CP1 pattern from the board.

Since we can able to observe the LFPS signal from the device, similarly we wanted to generate the LFPS signal for the SSC measurement.

Early waiting your reply.

Regards,

Aruna

0 Likes

Aruna,

I hope that you have used USB Bulk Source Sink example firmware for testing and USB 3.0 device enumeration is confirmed by connecting to USB 3.0 PC.

The patterns required to successfully complete USB 3.0 electrical compliance are taken care in the library source code.

Once the device enters into compliance mode, it will respond to the commands received from the host PC/ test setup. Hence, you don't need to any additional things to generate the required patterns.

0 Likes
Keerthy_V

Hi Aruna,

As per USB3 spec,

• Upon entry to Compliance Mode, the port shall wait until its eSS Tx DC common mode voltage meets the VTX-DC-CM specification defined in Table 6-18 before it starts to send the first compliance test pattern defined in Table 6-13.
  • The port shall transmit the next compliance test pattern continuously upon detection of a Ping.LFPS as defined in Section 6.9.1.

FX3 follows the USB3 specification. To change the compliance pattern, the test equipment has to send Ping.LFPS signal on the RX lines of FX3.

You don't have to do anything in your application firmware to change/generate the compliance pattern. It is already handled in the silicon.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

But from your reply, how do we send Ping.LFPS signal on the RX lines of FX3.

Preferably we can use equipment for generating such a signal?

0 Likes

Yes, Aruna.

You should use the equipment for generating the Ping.LFPS on RX lines of FX3.

We would like to know which setup you are using and how you have made the connections.

Please share the photo of your setup.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please find the attached image picture for my setup details.

DSC_4132.JPG

Please let us know how do we generate the Ping.LFPS signal for the FX3.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team ,

Could you please suggest me to proceed further for generating the ping. LPFS signal from the external equipment.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

What kind of signal (pingLFPS) will be .please suggest.

0 Likes

You would have test setup (either keysight or lecroy) to generate the pattern required. Just having the test fixture is not enough.

In general, the users do not need to generate the ping LFPS. The setup will take care of this. the users should just make the connections.

Please refer the following test procedure if you are using Keysight equipment - https://www.keysight.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/USB3.0.pdf

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

I agree with your reply only if we are using the compliance software with the equipment like Key sight or Leroy.

but manually we wanted to check all the parameters of USB3.0 without compliance software.

Is there any way to check the signal behavior , or the only way to use the compliance tool to do all the parameters in USB3.0.

But for our case we wanted to check all the parameters first manually, and then we will proceed to compliance software.

0 Likes
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

You must load USB 3.0 enabled firmware in CYUSB3KIT-001.
For this, you can load USB Bulk Source Sink example firmware.

This will take care asserting the terminations when there is valid VBUS.

Note that the device enters into compliance mode when there is a timeout of tpollingLFPStimeout as per the USB 3.0 Spec (section 7.5.4.3.2).

"An upstream port shall transition to Compliance Mode upon the 360-ms timer timeout

(tPollingLFPSTimeout) and the following two conditions are met:

1. The port has never successfully completed Polling.LFPS after PowerOn Reset.

2. The condition to transition to Polling.RxEQ or Polling.LFPSPlus is not met.

Note: If the very first attempt in Polling.LFPS handshake fails after PowerOn Reset, it

implies that a passive test load may be present and compliance test should be initiated. If

the very first attempt in Polling.LFPS handshake succeeds after PowerOn Reset, it

implies the presence of the Enhanced SuperSpeed ports on each side of the link and no

compliance test is intended. Therefore, any subsequent handshake timeout in

Polling.LFPS when the link is retrained is only an indication of link training failure, not a

signal to enter Compliance Mode."

0 Likes