not booting after firmware upgrade

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tested the ota_firmware_upgrade on the BCM920737TAG Board.

I flashed the application to the controller, then I added a trace-message and created the application again.

I tried the Update on android (with a update-application I found on the forum here) and on a virtual machine with windows 8 and the application provided with the ota_firmware_upgrade.

It seems, the file is sent ok, the CRC at the end are OK.

This is what I get:

Command:3 State:2

ws_verify rcvd:3c2de77d calculated:3c2de77d

send_status 0

hello_sensor_timeout:421

@$*#04FF0EF7009201010000E5750402FF0000ws_upgrade_create_upgrade_ss()...

done

ws_upgrade_invalidate_active_ss()

done

bleapputil_cpuIntDisable()

bleappfwu_watchdogExpired(0

But the controller won't boot again. Each time I have to recover it. I also added the crystal warmup workaround.

My SDK-Version is 2.2.1.

So I need some hints what else I could do.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the problem:

I add a trace to the APPLICATION_INIT. If I set the trace in the create(), it works with the windows version of the tool, so everything is OK.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Are you using the secure OTA process that is defined in Software Over-The-Air Secure Firmware Update and is supported but the BCM20737 only as it requires the RSA library this part enables (not available on 20732/20736) ?

This version has been tested internally and works well with the Windows peer application that is provided within the SDK.

OR

Are you using the non-secure OTA and Android peer apps posted as a part of these two threads:

WICED Smart BCM92073X OTA Firmware Upgrade (1)  (1 of 2)

http://community.broadcom.com/message/9499  (2 of 2, Android application is attached to this one)

If the former, check that his board has enough memory and that you are downloading the correct image (both common problems).  For example if you download a .txt file, the download will work fine but it will not boot.

If the latter, we will have to check internally to see if this is supported.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mwf_mmfae

I'm using the non-secure OTA.

The Android application if out of these threads, but I had to change sending the patch-size with the correct command.

But I tried it also with the windows application provided with the sample (in peerapps).

Both apps show the same result: uploading ok, but not booting.

I use the same application I flashed to the module, but only add one trace at the APPLICATION_INIT.

Then I upload the new ....ota.bin.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the problem:

I add a trace to the APPLICATION_INIT. If I set the trace in the create(), it works with the windows version of the tool, so everything is OK.

0 Likes

Excellent.  Thanks for updating the thread with the resolution.

0 Likes