RSSI of packets received in monitoring mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JeBl_3106276
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to get the Received Signal Strength Indication (RSSI) of individual packets received in monitoring mode, i.e. Probe Request, Beacon, etc ?

I've searched the community pages, and I've found questions regarding this dating back to 2015. However, I haven't found any solutions.

Any help is much appreciated.

I'm running:

WICED version: Wiced_006.002.001.0002

Chip: CYW43907

/Jesper

0 Likes
1 Solution

Radiotap headers are not supported within the Broad Market.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hello:

I just use a sniffer to check the signal level value,  I found the signal value is  stable relatively . I have checked probe request,  QoS null,  80211 Auth , 80211 BAR .  So our get_rssi function should match your request.

0 Likes

Could you elaborate a little on the exact API function you are referring to?

Remember I have the device running in monitoring mode. What I have is roughly based on the example 'snip.packet_filter'.

I've registered a callback function to process packets with:

wwd_wifi_set_raw_packet_processor( raw_packet_callback );

and enabled monitoring mode with:

wwd_wifi_enable_monitor_mode();

The callback looks like this:

static void raw_packet_callback( wiced_buffer_t buffer, wwd_interface_t interface ) {

UNUSED_PARAMETER( interface );

void *raw = host_buffer_get_current_piece_data_pointer( buffer );

// Here I'd like to register the devices active on the WIFI channel

// Specifically I want to register their signal strength

host_buffer_release( buffer, WWD_NETWORK_RX );

}

If I try to use the API function  wwd_wifi_get_rssi in the callback the return value is a TIMEOUT.

/Jesper

0 Likes

Hi:

I think you need a packet radiotap info which includes signal Level . we can see it from wireshark capture .  Unfortunately I can't find any interface that indicates what we capture already includes the radiotap info. 

Radiotap info is exactly what I need, however the only reference to radiotap in the entire SDK is a single header file. This file is, however, not used anywhere in the SDK, and there is no documentation on how to get/enable radiotap information.

Has anyone made use of radiotap info on the Cypress platform?

/Jesper

0 Likes

Radiotap headers are not supported within the Broad Market.

0 Likes