External Serial Flash for wiced smart BCM20736

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Existing external Serial Flash size on BCM20736 EVB is only 4 Mbit. But we need minmium 64 Mbit. So we select MX25L6408E.

If so,how serial flash driver to modify?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I am closing this thread based on maxsong's response here: Re: WICED Smart BCM92073X EEPROM and SFLASH Layout

I confirmed with the developers today that his response is correct.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Is this what you are looking for?

WICED Smart BCM92073X EEPROM and SFLASH Layout

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean it only should config ..\SDK\Platforms\BCM920736TAG_Q32\20736_SFLASH.btp for a new serial flash?

If so,could you guide us that items in 20736_SFLASH.btp stand for?

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

First off, have you attempted to get the Serial Flash working on the TAG3 board per the instructions provided here: TAG3 Serial Flash Configuration ?

Unfortunately, the driver for the serial flash is very particular, so I don't think it's a simple task to increase the size of the flash x16 and not expect some compatibility issues.

Someone will need to verify with the developers that this is supported.

Not sure the BTP file is all that needs to be modified. More on the BTP file here: Programming the TAG2/TAG3 Board using command line tools

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

wangguoshun@gozone-mobi.com

It should work as long as the architecture of the flash is the same and uses the same 24 bit addressing.

-Kevin

0 Likes

Thanks for verifying this with the developers kwang

0 Likes

Hi, Kevin

I am confused memory addressing, so I'd like to confirm from Broadcom about memory size and address accessing.

For use Serial Flash of 4Mbits(512KB) size, BCM20736/7 is possible to access whole space of 4Mbits if serial flash supports 24 bit addressing?

Thanks,

Sung-Mok

0 Likes

sung-mok_lee

Can you re-ask your question in context of the WICED Smart BCM92073X EEPROM and SFLASH Layout maxsong put together.

There will obviously be limitations as to which sections of the flash are available to the user since the mini-driver controls where things like the user application and BD_ADDR, patches, etc are placed in th flash.

0 Likes

Adding your recent post to this blog as I think the 2 questions are related:

Re: WICED Smart BCM92073X EEPROM and SFLASH Layout

"I understood external memory size is required 32KB for user application, it is also required additional 32KB for f/w upgrade. Moreover, if 128KB EEPROM is used, 64KB upper address can be accessed by using second slave address.

However, I am somewhat confused in using serial flash of 1Mbit(128KB) or 4Mbis(512KB) size.

If 128KB or 512KB serial flash is used and the serial flash supports for 24 bit addressing, user is possible to access whole space from 64KB upper of 128KB or 512KB so as to store user data? If to do so, serial driver in SDK should be modified? Otherwise, it can be used without modification of serial driver?"

0 Likes

I am closing this thread based on maxsong's response here: Re: WICED Smart BCM92073X EEPROM and SFLASH Layout

I confirmed with the developers today that his response is correct.

0 Likes