WiFi and BLE are not working together (tags: link up, link down, BLE)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello WICED forum,

mifo​ Thank a lot for helping me finding the option to post

My project is almost at the end stage, at this time I got struck with the problem of WiFi and BLE are not working together when enable together.

This is very unique selling point for this WiFi Combo devices and it is very annoyed that these are not working together.

Below is the details of the problem:

I'm using WICED Version: Wiced_006.002.001.0002. I enabled WiFi (STA) functionality and BLE (server, peripheral) functionality in my project. When the WiFi link goes down, the BLE connection also getting closed with my mobile.

how to reproduce ?:

- Enable both WiFi (STA) and BLE (server) interfaces in single project

- Let WiFi connect to a network

- At this moment the BLE is working fine, and I can able to connect to WICED board via my mobile with my custom applciaiton

- Now we need to make the WiFi link down, I did this by switching off my WiFi modem

- Surprisingly, the BLE connection also went down.

- When I made the link Up by switching ON my WiFi modem, the BLE started to advertise and connected

- In summary, I wanted to convey that when WiFi link down event occurs, then BLE connection will also be down.

Quickly reproduce with the BLE_WiFi_Introducer example present in the WICED studio.

- Just enable both WiFi and BLE stack as shown in the below snippet

- Allow WiFi to connect to a network (it must then alone we can reproduce)

- Make the WiFi link down, then BLE link will get disconnected.

Things tried so far:

- I tried to reinitialize the BLE stack when the WiFi link goes down, But not it is not working.

- There is no log when BLE connection goes down when enabled BT_USE_TRACES macro

Attachment: Shows the code to reproduce using BLE_WIFI_INTRODUCER example

Please help me in resolving this

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cypress Team,

Please confirm the issue ..

0 Likes

Adding a few members of the Applications team: grsr riya rroy zhez zhxh yans kavs shjl

PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I recreated the issue through ble_wif_introducer snip. The BT connection is maintained untill the AP is ON.

When the AP is turned OFF, the BT connection is also lost. I am acknowledging the issue here that we are aware of the behavior and are looking into the issue.

PriyaM_16 wrote:

I recreated the issue through ble_wif_introducer snip. The BT connection is maintained untill the AP is ON.

When the AP is turned OFF, the BT connection is also lost. I am acknowledging the issue here that we are aware of the behavior and are looking into the issue.

But there is no fix so far?

0 Likes

We are having the same issue, any solutions so far?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Cypress team,

Any updates on this issue ?

The only workaround I found is restarting the board when the WiFi connection goes down to make BLE to work at least

0 Likes
GrBa_3483646
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

vasam.venumadhav_1476521​ which SDK are you using?

I'm experiencing problems with BT Firmware of SDK 6.2.1.

BT Firmware of SDK 5.2.1 is working well so far.

best regards,

Gregor

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for sharing. I'm facing issue with the version WICED Version: Wiced_006.002.001.0002

I haven't tried with 5.2.1. I don't know weather all my code works well after downgrading to 5.2.1.

BTW which board are you using ? Can you please share thoughts on hardware design section of programming interface for factory programming ? I'm using Nebula board

Thank you

/Venu

0 Likes

Hi Venu,

As normal MCU is used, the standard JTAG/SWD interface for factory programming with PCB needle adapter is most common.
We are using ISM4343-WBM-L151 SIP from Inventek Systems.

regards,
Gregor

0 Likes

gregor.bader_3483646 wrote:

vasam.venumadhav_1476521 which SDK are you using?

I'm experiencing problems with BT Firmware of SDK 6.2.1.

BT Firmware of SDK 5.2.1 is working well so far.

Hi gregor.bader_3483646

I'm wondering if the problem you experienced is exactly the same one discussed in this thread?

If it's different problem, could you elaborate the symptom?

0 Likes

axel.lin_1746341​ I experienced problems when trying to connect to BLE sensors as central.
With BT Firmware of SDK 6.2.1 it is not possible to connect to any BLE sensor.

0 Likes

gregor.bader_3483646 wrote:

axel.lin_1746341 I experienced problems when trying to connect to BLE sensors as central.
With BT Firmware of SDK 6.2.1 it is not possible to connect to any BLE sensor.

This seems to be different topic from this discussion thread.

I think you should create another discussion thread to get attention from cypress developers.

0 Likes