2 or 3 usb type c port using CCG3PA

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

i wanted to make a 2 or 3 port usb type-c based on the  CCG3PA so i took the schematic from the  CCG3PA 18W Power Bank Reference Design using Southchip, as i don't want any usbe A micro usb so i deteleted the things so i wanted to know i could i add one more CCG3PA and SC8913 to have two port ? is this schematic still corret ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

This reference design seems to have the internal LDO disabled. Hence it is recommended to connect R97 and use Vin<5.5V. (or use external regulator).

In your case The battery voltage is not exceeding the limits. It is safe. Please connect R97 as in the reference schematic.

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

1) Pin 18 of CCG3PA (VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE) is connected to VDDM via R97. VDDM is supposedly connected to pin 23 - VDDD which is 3V3. Any justification for this connection?

2) I assume P2 connector is a mini-B used to charge the powerbank. Am I correct?

3) You can add one more CCG3PA and SC8913 for one more c-port. They will share the same BAT+;

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

1)okay i really don't have justification for the pin 18  VDDM and în 23 because this schematic is from  cypress CCG3PA 18W Power Bank Reference Design using Southchip.

2)and P2 is mini-B used to charge battery, if i delete it can the usb type still charge the battery ?.

3)if i add one more CCG3PA and SC8913 do i need to diplicate all other components also ?? resistors and and capacitors ?

one more question what if i would like to use 90 or 100 Wh what do i need to change ?

0 Likes

1) Okay I will confirm what might be going on there shortly.

2) Yes, USB type C can charge the battery. There is no compulsion for mini-B charging port.

3) Yes. Duplicate. Each port will be capable of providing 18W. If you need more power, the buck-boost needs to be changed. You can refer to the 45W refer design with Southchip. If you need even higher power, you can contact Southchip for other IC's with higher power rating.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

okay so for 3) if the the battery bank is 95200mAh 4v, is it suitable for this design ??

0 Likes

You need to check if the buck-boost will operate with 4 volts input, from the respective datasheet.

Because the reference design uses a 12V pack. So just to make sure it works for 4V.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

VBAT min is 2.6 i guess this is suitable for the project right ??

0 Likes

Then it should be good enough.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

by the way i couldn't find the justification for this point: Pin 18 of CCG3PA (VBUS_IN_DISCHARGE) is connected to VDDM via R97. VDDM is supposedly connected to pin 23 - VDDD which is 3V3.

0 Likes

Hi,

That connection is valid as long as the BAT+ / VCC / VIN does not go above 5.5V

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

so as my battery:

• Nominal voltage: 3.6 V
  • Discharge end voltage: 2.5 V
  • Charged up to 4.2V

that's mean the connection valid, so what if i left R97 unloaded (NC) as you said before ?

and so if i have to leave it unloaded it has to connect to the ground instead of VDDM right ?

0 Likes

This reference design seems to have the internal LDO disabled. Hence it is recommended to connect R97 and use Vin<5.5V. (or use external regulator).

In your case The battery voltage is not exceeding the limits. It is safe. Please connect R97 as in the reference schematic.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes