UART TX buffer status is never empty even right after clearTXBuffer function is called?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I got a UART transmission block working, sending 4 bytes at a time but the logic i'm using is actuallly not making a lot of sense to me, even though it works.

I was checking if the transmission status was FIFO not full, but what really makes sense is to check if the FIFO is empty so I can immediatly load it with the 4 bytes to send. When I do this, however, it never goes into the if, it's always false even if right before checking it I place the clearTXBuffer and I don't understand why.

Does anyone have any idea? Am I understanding the functioning wrong? I've read the datasheet some 3 or 4 times and this is what I could understand from it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

UART_1_ReadTxStatus() returns a bit pattern indicating different states that have happened (see datasheet of the UART you are using).

Try

if(UART_1_ReadTxStatus & UART_1_TX_STS_EMPTY){

}

which will be true when the EMPTY bit is set.

Bob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi Pedro,

Could you please share your project file or code snippet focusing on your question? Also mention the device you're using.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bragadeesh

Here is the infinite loop snippet with the function:

for(;;)

{

temp_read=read_temperature(); // returns a float with the temperature

voltage_read = convert_current();

//current = (voltage_read-2.5)/current_sensitivity;

real_voltage=convert_voltage();

if(temp_read != -1000){ //reading of temp was correct

memcpy(&tempFloatToArray, &temp_read, sizeof(tempFloatToArray)); //transforms the float into a char array with 4 bytes

if(UART_1_ReadTxStatus() != UART_1_TX_STS_FIFO_FULL){ //if(UART_1_ReadTxStatus() != UART_1_TX_STS_FIFO_NOT_FULL){

for(j=0;j<sizeof(tempFloatToArray);j++){

UART_1_WriteTxData(tempFloatToArray);

}

}

clear_dataBuf();

}

CyDelay(125u);

}

What I'm talking about is line 12. It works if I do it like it is in the snippet, but it doesnt if I do

if(UART_1_ReadTxStatus == UART_1_TX_STS_EMPTY){

}

I just don't understand why. How does it put the 4 bytes of data I have in the 4 byte tx buffer if it's not even empty? I mean it works, it's just that I need to comment and justify the code I developed and I'm honestly not understanding why it even works at all.

Thanks

0 Likes

UART_1_ReadTxStatus() returns a bit pattern indicating different states that have happened (see datasheet of the UART you are using).

Try

if(UART_1_ReadTxStatus & UART_1_TX_STS_EMPTY){

}

which will be true when the EMPTY bit is set.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bob, it works when I use the '&' logic operator like you posted it works fine, but I was doing it like this:

if(UART_1_ReadTxStatus == UART_1_TX_STS_EMPTY){

}

Which didn't work, i'm assuming because of the way the uart component checks and provides the buffer status.

Thanks for the help once again!

0 Likes