CCG3 charge through dongle (ctg) reference and Samsung Galaxy S8 trouble

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
aldr_3203566
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

This is in reference to the below CCG3 reference design.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

I have had this PCB assembled and am now in the process of hardware/software troubleshooting to create a development platform with it.

You can see an image of this PCB in the pictures below.

Programming was done with the MiniProg3 programmer included in the CY4501 CCG1 Development Kit.

I have the onboard CCG3 CYPD3123 programmed with the CYPD3123-40LQXI_ctd_us project located in the

CCGx Software Development Kit

Version 3.0.2, April 10, 2017

I have programmed the CCG2 CY2122 with the CYPD2122-24LQXI_notebook project located in the

CCGx Software Development Kit

Version 3.0.2, April 10, 2017

I am attaching a picture of jumper configuration.

The trouble that I see is as follows.

At first nothing is connected to the PCB.  It is not powered.

Connect the PCB to the Samsung Galaxy S8, the PCB connects without issue.

C_PLUG_VBUS and C_PLUG_VCONN are lit.

Connect a charger to the USBC receptacle and the two above mentioned LEDs are no longer illuminated.

Disconnecting the Samsung Galaxy S8 and reconnecting yields no response.

The PCB does not recover unless all power is removed and completely reset.

This behavior is not present when connected to a USBC based Apple Macintosh or a different mobile phone.

However, if I place a USBC analysis tool in line with the connection the issue is resolved...

The USBC analysis tool is made by Route... I am attaching image.

Has an issue been reported with compatibility with the Samsung Galaxy S8?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi ,

May I know whether you have been records CC negotiation on those failure case or not? Since you mentioned the others test device cannot settle higher than 5V contract on Type-C port. Based on CCG3 Charge Through Dongle, the SOURCE PDO is closely depends on the Down-streaming charger's highest capacities,  for example, if the charger you plug in (I guess you are using the charger with 20V voltage on source cap) a charger with 20V voltage source PDO, the Up streaming port of CCG3 Charge Through Dongle will advertise 5V and 20V on source cap, the 5V will be the final contract if attached device do not have 20 V sink capability.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
aldr_3203566
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

After loading the proper binary form of the firmware from the v3.0.1 SDK into the CCG3 and CCG2 I have tested further on some more platforms and notice some incompatibility issues.

Has this reference design been tested recently with newer devices.

In this time, I was able to test with a few products.

+ Apple MacBook Pro with USBC (2016 15" model)

+ fully functional with passthrough working as expected, 20V from charger was passed through correctly

+ Samsung Galaxy S8

+ PCB powers up correctly and functions correctly until charger is plugged into DS port (USBC receptacle)

+ at this time VBUS and VCONN on the USBC US (connected to the Samsung Galaxy S8) lose power and even reconnecting the phone does not recover the connection.  The power adapter from the DS receptacle must be removed and CCG2_CCG3 completely reset

+ Dell XPS 9360

+ Will not increase charge voltage above 5V

+ Torque G03 KYV41SRA

+ Power fluctuates quickly on the charge through dongle PCB with power adapter not connected to the PCB

+ Does not charge even if power adapter connected and power stabilizes

+ Sony Xperia SO-01J

+ Does not connect at all or power up the charge through dongle

The above is all devices tested.

Perhaps there is a jumper or wiring miss configuration.

The images in the first post show the jumper configuration currently used.

The binary firmware from v3.0.1 is used without modification on both CCG2 and CCG3 chips.

Someone familiar with the charge through dongle reference design might be able to provide some insight into this please?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Hi ,

May I know whether you have been records CC negotiation on those failure case or not? Since you mentioned the others test device cannot settle higher than 5V contract on Type-C port. Based on CCG3 Charge Through Dongle, the SOURCE PDO is closely depends on the Down-streaming charger's highest capacities,  for example, if the charger you plug in (I guess you are using the charger with 20V voltage on source cap) a charger with 20V voltage source PDO, the Up streaming port of CCG3 Charge Through Dongle will advertise 5V and 20V on source cap, the 5V will be the final contract if attached device do not have 20 V sink capability.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes