Unable to Open Connection to COM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ryge_3612081
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given

I using the PSoc 6 Pioneer kit to go through the PSoC 101 video series. I'm on lesson 2-1 and have hit a snag trying to communicate with the device over the UART.

The device seems to program up fine with the example UART code, but I have no way to test it because I cannot connect to the serial port of the device from PuTTY or any other terminal.

I have installed PSoC Creator on two different computers both running Windows 10.

The device shows up on both in the Device Manager under 'Ports (COM & LPT)' and driver says it is Cypress v.2.0.0.2

I have tried connecting to the port with both computers from PuTTY and both computers give the same error:

"Unable to open connection to COM4

Unable to configure serial port"

This Thread describes apparently the same error:

UART port can't be accessed

But the fix there that is the accepted solution is simply to restart the computer, which does not work in our case.

Also: I've run the update manager to see if there was a new driver. But still no luck.

And: Other serial devices are working fine in the terminal. Whatever is going on is specific to the PSoC 6 kit.

Anyone having similar issues?

Thanks,

R

0 Likes
1 Solution
ryge_3612081
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, it's sending data to the termial now- Silly beginner's mistake

I didn't know that it was necessary to hit the 'Mode Select' button to get the KitProg2 device in the correct mode for USB-UART communication. But now I do.

I still don't have getchar(); working yet, but I think the COM port issues are resolved

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ryge_3612081
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, it's sending data to the termial now- Silly beginner's mistake

I didn't know that it was necessary to hit the 'Mode Select' button to get the KitProg2 device in the correct mode for USB-UART communication. But now I do.

I still don't have getchar(); working yet, but I think the COM port issues are resolved

Thanks!