I would like to use Emwin graphics with the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT PSoC 6 WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeVa_264731
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

I use the Emwin graphics on many PSoC-5lp designs. The library is free from cypress for the PSoC-5. The CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT PSoC 6 WiFi-BT Pioneer Kit comes with a color display which I would like to use for development, but the ST7789 controller chip on that display is only supported on a later version of the Library.

Does Cypress have a place to download the newer driver?

Will the library work on the PSoC 6?

0 Likes
1 Solution
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored Welcome!

Hello,

We're already working on the emWin library for PSoC 6. It will be available for download next quarter.

Regards

Nidhin

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
NidhinM_71
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored Welcome!

Hello,

We're already working on the emWin library for PSoC 6. It will be available for download next quarter.

Regards

Nidhin

0 Likes

Is there any update on when this will be available? I'm in the process of selecting a processor for my project and emwin or equivalent is a critical requirement. I love everything about PSOC6 and I don't understand why this isn't a priority for the PSOC6 team given that is shouldn't take more than a few weeks to get this work done.

Regards,

John

0 Likes

The emwin middleware is launched with newest version of PDL 3.0.4.

You can download it from below link:

pdl 3.0.4 

After installed, you need redirect PDL location in PSoC Creator -> Tool -> Options to current PDL.

And then you need check options for emwin in Build Settings, and then can see the generated PDL middleware files for emwin after building.

0 Likes

Thank you very much. There was an app note for using Emwin with PSoC 5 showing how to link it into the project. Is there an equivalent, or is it easier now with PDL?

0 Likes

Thank you. Do you have an example on how to use emwin with PSOC6. I have the CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT kit. Also, I would like to use a capacitive touch screen. I know emwin supports capacitive touch screen, so how would this be supported on this kit?

Regards,

John

0 Likes

I enabled enwin and freertos, but I cannot find the LCD and Touch components.

0 Likes

One more thing. The display I want to use is the Adafruit 2.8" display with Capacitive Touch screen shield. Should plugin to the CY8KIT-062-Wifi-BT.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1947

How would I use the Adafuit drivers on PSOC? Is there some sort of HAL or BSP layer that will allow emwin to work with this display? I don't mind doing the work. My guess is this is done in your PDL. Is there enough info for me to follow how you implemented the driver for the existing display?

Regards,

John

0 Likes

In the PSoC 5 version there is a file GUIDRV_CompactColor_16 driver file, which allows the selection of the display controller used in the display. There must be an equivalent file to allow the selection of the display type in this new version.

In the PDL there should be a dropdown box to allow the selection of the type of display or display controller.

0 Likes

Yeah, I have been working on this over the weekend, and no success.

I found the following site that seemed to have got emwin working on PSoC5LP

CYPRESS PSOC | My site

I'm new to PSoC6, so not sure how to make this work on PSoC6.

What I find strange is Cypress have no example on how to use emwin for their own kit CY8CKIT-062-WiFi-BT that comes with an LCD. The only example that uses the LCD is written on WICED using uGUI graphics. Why use yet another GUI framework when they promote support for emwin. Totally frustrated.

Regards,

John

0 Likes

I have a partially working PSoC Creator project running the ALPA-Barcode example, but the display is distorted. I have played around with timing, but no improvement. I have double checked my pin assignment, so I don't think it is a hardware connection issue. The part I was missing was the TFT_Init function that configures the display. I got this function from the CE222221_TFT_VoiceRecorder demo for this display. Unfortunately, this demo uses the uGUI library just like the WICED demo.

Regards,

John.

0 Likes

I believe the #define LCD_CONTROLLER 66709, is the problem.

The code 66709 matches; Novatek NT39122, Renesas R61516, Sitronix ST7628, Sitronix ST7637, Epson S1D19122.

The ST7628 is a 98 x 70 x 16 display.

We need to find the proper code for the ST7789 controller.

0 Likes

Ah, brilliant. That is what I was missing.

I changed to 66717, which Segger says supports ST7789, but it only supports 16 bit mode. Looks like I have to write a 8 bit driver for ST7789.

Thank you

John

0 Likes