FX3 Explorer Board: Missing debug COM port

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

i was able to use the COM debug port since I installed the FX3 SDK. However suddenly there is no  debug COM port anymore.

I can see the three USB-Serial devices listed on Devices-USB (Vendor 1, Vendor 2, MFG)  but there is no COM port on Devices-COM Ports.

All I remember I was trying to add the I2C UART port, in order to have two serial ports. Since then i cannot see any COM port.To configure I2C UART port I installed "USB Serial Kit". Might this have any adverse effect on COM port setup? (I have tried to uninstall Serial USB kit with no positve results).

Any way to fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

After re-programming the USB-Serial device to function as an I2C interface, the device gets bound to CYUSB3.SYS driver and will not be a Virtual COM port device. Hence, the terminal applications such as TeraTerm or ClearTerminal cannot be used. To use the DualConsole example firmware and collect logs over I2C interface, host application has to be developed on top of the CYUSB3.SYS driver. As reference, you can use the example applications that come with the USB-Serial SDK.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/usb-serial-software-development-kit

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
abhinavg_21
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi,

Try to load the bulkloop firmware example that is provided in the FX3SDK, Connect both wires on Super speed explorer kit and try to obtain debug logs on the Tera Term or any other serial terminal device.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem was the configuration i made using Serial Usb Kit.

i changed SBC0 to I2C trying to follow the instructions given on the example “Dual Console” from the Superspeed book. After reverting back to UART mode the COM port has appeared again.:-)

by the way, how does the “Dual Console” example work? has anyone been able to use it?

0 Likes

Hello,

After re-programming the USB-Serial device to function as an I2C interface, the device gets bound to CYUSB3.SYS driver and will not be a Virtual COM port device. Hence, the terminal applications such as TeraTerm or ClearTerminal cannot be used. To use the DualConsole example firmware and collect logs over I2C interface, host application has to be developed on top of the CYUSB3.SYS driver. As reference, you can use the example applications that come with the USB-Serial SDK.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/usb-serial-software-development-kit

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes