CCG2 CCG3 charge through dongle sample firmware

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
aldr_3203566
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I am working with a project related to the USBC Charge Through Dongle reference design.

This is somewhat related to this topic https://community.cypress.com/thread/35040

The reference design in reference to is here http://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle

Main CCG3 is CYPD3123

Charger input CCG2 is CYPD2122

I have had some boards made for testing, now correcting some hardware issues and then moving to software issues. I can find the sample application for the CCG3 used in the design, however, I cant seem to locate the sample application for the CCG2. The CCG2 and CC3 are connected together to relay PD data between each other.

I am hoping I can locate the CCG2 sample application without having to reverse engineer too much of the CCG3 logic to recreate the CCG2 application.

I have found sample applications for a notebook, mobile, and power pack for this CCG2.

Besides this, I have found a number of discrepancies in the BOM file among other things in the reference design. If someone is interested in updating the reference design I can provide this information. After actually having the reference design created, I have found most errors.

Please advise about the CCG2 sample firmware, if it can be located.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

So far SDK version only have CCG2 notebook can be refer to the CTD DS. You can customize it based on it. Notebook is DRP design, CTD DS is power sink only.

If there is no hardware changes on CCG2 based on CCG3 CTD reference design, recommend you debug it with the HEX file under the LINK: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle . And then change the configuration via Ez-PD configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

So far SDK version only have CCG2 notebook can be refer to the CTD DS. You can customize it based on it. Notebook is DRP design, CTD DS is power sink only.

If there is no hardware changes on CCG2 based on CCG3 CTD reference design, recommend you debug it with the HEX file under the LINK: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle . And then change the configuration via Ez-PD configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply.

I have solved the issues with the CCG2 and CCG3 firmware.  I am currently using the following firmwares, and it appears to be functioning correctly, however, some modifications need to be done to connect the CCG2 and CCG3 parts together to increase the charge voltage.

CCG2 firmware is CYPD2122-24LQXI_notebook

CCG3 firmware is CYPD3123-40LQXI_ctd_us.cydsn

Both of the above firmware is included in the following SDK.

CCGx Software Development Kit

Version 3.0.2, April 10, 2017

It appears I have been able to workout the issues with the hardware except one part.

I can not get the HDMI chip (MCDP2900) functional.  Looking at the technical data, it appears firmware is loaded off the connected EEPROM memory.  The EEPROM has no data in it, and I believe I need to load some firmware into it.

However, I can not seem to locate any firmware for this part.  I can connect to the UART (3.3v) (115200,8,N,1) connection on J8 and the see the output when the MCDP2900 starts up.  I can not find any information about the firmware to this chip.  Can an engineer from Cypress please respond with some information about the MCDP2900 and how to get it to a functional state?  I assume this part was functional when the design reference PCB was created and tested.

MADEA.í.

IROM FW Ver: 1.2.≥.

16:21:35 Dec 15, 2015.n.

.Œ.

Tracking Data: .π;

0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x.<.].d.....ó.ì...k.

0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x.@.”.....M.

Production Data: .√.

0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x.¿...ˇ...Å.

Record Data: .è;

0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x.2.9.0.0.........Â;

0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x 0x%x.......X.:.ê.‹.N.d

0 Likes

Issue was resolved.  Contacting mca_support@megachips.com with a request for firmware was done.

The necessary firmware and loading software was provided quickly by email and the MCDP2900 was successfully programmed.

Although, programming was a little tricky.  Needed to try multiple combinations on plugging into laptop USBC first, or power externally first. 

Most likely related to the USBC plug being in UFP or DFP mode.

Eventually programming the MCDP2900 was possible and HDMI output works great!

Does not work from Samsung Galaxy S8 though, this is most likely related to the alternate mode parameters, the Galaxy S8 is most likely not seeing what it wants in the alternate mode information.  I will look into these soon.

I still have to solve issues with the charge through part of the design, I believe it is a problem in software.

I can't forward the full power from the USBC charge receptacle to the USBC plug yet.

The FETs to allow direct connection of VBUS from the receptacle to the USBC plug are not turning on.