CYW920706 ChipLoad programming is required reset with recovery button every time

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SaLe_3420251
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given Welcome!

Hello,

I'm using CYW920706 and CYW920719.

I can program a hex for CYW920719 in the console command line with ChipLoad.exe.

• CYW920719
    • I don't need to press reset with recovery button when I try to program, if I use same baudrate of previous programming.
  • CYW920706
    • I have to press reset with recovery button every time to program even if I use same baudrate of previous programming.

Can I program CYW920706 without pressing reset and recovery button?

Thank you,

Sang

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I spoke to one of the Engineers within the BT group and he provided the following guidance...

If the 20706 has sflash connected and power to it via SW7 on the eval board, then yes, you will need to have the recovery button pressed as well.

Assuming you are using the 20706 eval board, you could just set all the switches on SW7 to OFF and then you will not need to hold the recovery button (At least this is the experience of the AE I spoke with internally).

Essentially with this board, if there’s something in sflash, then the recovery button is needed.

He believes that he did  have to push the recovery button every time for the 20719.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I spoke to one of the Engineers within the BT group and he provided the following guidance...

If the 20706 has sflash connected and power to it via SW7 on the eval board, then yes, you will need to have the recovery button pressed as well.

Assuming you are using the 20706 eval board, you could just set all the switches on SW7 to OFF and then you will not need to hold the recovery button (At least this is the experience of the AE I spoke with internally).

Essentially with this board, if there’s something in sflash, then the recovery button is needed.

He believes that he did  have to push the recovery button every time for the 20719.

0 Likes

Yes, I'm using 20706 EVAL board. You mentioned about SW7 to OFF, does it mean that SW7 connects to GND physically?

0 Likes

SW7 is referenced in the CYW920706WCDEVAL Hardware User Guide which is included within the SDK.

According to the apps team, when a switch is in the OFF position, it opens the circuit between the respective pins. In this case, it’ll leave SPI2_MISO, SPI2_MOSI, SPI2_CS_L, and SPI2_CLK floating and VDD will not be supplied to the sflash.

But this implies that the sflash is not used, hence a hex file would not be used.

It would help if we had a better understanding of what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

If you absolutely need the sflash, then yes it’s required to reset with the recovery button every time you want to reprogram the flash.

If you don’t want to have to assert the recovery button every time, another option would be to use the RAM download. With the RAM download, you wouldn’t have to assert the recovery button, ie with SW7 switches in the OFF position. With RAM download, you have to download the *.hcd file every the chip is powered up.

0 Likes

I want to use CYW920706 EVK as one of test IUT against PTS test and an automation system will be used to change firmware for several PTS profile/service tests. For example, if testing system is running MESH test, proper MESH firmware should be programmed into CYW920706 EVK and then testing system is running BAS test, BAS firmware should be programmed in the beginning. This is why I want to know the way to program without human action in the middle of test.

I wonder Clientcontrol.exe supports console commands without GUI. If no, can ChipLoad support to program .hcd file?

Thank you

0 Likes

Q: I wonder Clientcontrol.exe supports console commands without GUI. If no, can ChipLoad support to program .hcd file?

A: Yes, we can take Clientcontrol's source code as an example to use console commands to download hcd file.  ChipLoad do not support to download .hcd file.

Regards

Jenson

0 Likes