Problems with PSoC Creator and Windows 10

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
gubac_1268471
Level 3
Level 3

Good morning.

I sent an e-mail to the address CDC3.0@cypress.com on august 8th.

Until now, I did not receive any answer and my contribution does not appears on the blog.

Please, could you explain me what I have to do to obtain your attention?

My development environment is fully updated, but working on CY8C5868AXI-LP035 with Windows 10, I had a lot of problems.

I have three different PC and two MiniProg3.

A laptop running Windows XP that crashes immediately after launching the PSoC Creator.

A laptop running Windows 10 that takes more than 10 minutes to compile the application if the TopDesign has been modified.

A desktop running Windows 10 on which I obtain the best behavior, but:

- The debugger programming stops without any reason.

- The debugging stops without any reason.

- The MiniProg3 switch its green LED off without any reason.

- The programmer destroyed a microcontroller.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

PSoC Creator 3.3 is outdated and I recommend you to work on our latest version 4.2 (Link: http://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide  ).

We have seen some issues of 4.2 crashing during specific circumstances. I will attach those threads below.

1) Psoc creator random crash in ucrtbase.dll

2) Re: PSoC Creator 4.2 crashes when using some features

3) Re: PSOC Creator 4.2 random shutdown error in ucrtbase.dll after windows 10 1803 update

4) Re: PSoC Creator 4.2 crashes when using some features

Please check them and let me know if you find your case similar to theirs.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
45 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Sorry about the inconvenience you have faced. I will try to inquire about this.

As you mentioned, the PSoC Creator keeps crashing, can you tell me what shows up in the error dialog? It will help me debug your issue.

Also, please tell me the following:

1) The version of PSoC Creator you are using?

2) The Visual C++ Redistributable versions installed on your PC?

Please feel free to drop in your queries into the forums at any time and we promise to help you find a solution soon. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you!

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

1) The version of PSoC Creator you are using? 4.2.0.641

2) The Visual C++ Redistributable versions installed on your PC? 14.10.24728

0 Likes
gubac_1268471
Level 3
Level 3

Some more info about my problems.

In my application, I need a precise 25 Hz real time clock.

The master clock is set at 48MHz as you can see.

Clock.PNG

In order to obtain the needed clock, I initially tried the easiest way, but I obtained the following warning: “Clock Warning: (RealTimeClock's accuracy range '25 Hz -55% +100%, (11.25 Hz - 50 Hz)' is not within the specified tolerance range '25 Hz'.)”, so the clock would not be precise.

Prima prova clock.PNG

Therefore, I tried another way.

TopDesign0.PNG

With

Counter_1.PNG

Therefore the RealTimeClock should generate a 1 kHz that is divided for 40 by the Counter_1, giving the 25 Hz I need.

When I tried to check the frequency on pin 18, I did not find any oscillation, so I added a second test point, but no oscillation was present on pin 17 too.

TopDesign1.PNG

Both the test points were programmed as following.

Test.PNG

The next step was adding a logic buffer on the RealTimeClock signal.

TopDesign2.PNG

Result: no signal on pin 18 and the following signal on pin 17.

5ms.jpg Dettaglio.jpg

The pin 17 signal would be a 1 kHz square wave, but its amplitude is around 100 mV and the signal seems not ground referred.

I obtained the same result on two different microcontrollers, so I can exclude that the problem is inside the IC, but I think that both the ICs are now damaged.

In order to prevent waste of time, I realized 23 different applications of CY8C5868AXI-LP035 since 2014 and I never had this kind of problems.

Many congratulations for the fantastic functioning of the 4.2 release of the PSoC Creator and for having abolished the creation of MyCases: it had never happened to me that I received no answer from you for six days in a row.

Is there any way to get back to PSoC Creator 3.2 and related programming and debugging software?

Those at least did not break the ICs.

0 Likes

Are you saying that PSoC Creator is crashing for this particular application of yours or for every application?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I am just using it on this application at the moment, so I can't give you an answer.

About the crashing, there is no error dialog: simply the PSoC Creator stops working.

About the Visual C++ Redistributable versions, the 14.10.24728 is the newest, but there are other 9, starting from 8.0.61001

0 Likes

Actually why I asked you that is, I wanted to know if it is the application that is causing the crash or something which is interfering with PSoC Creator's working that is causing the crash.

Can you run any code example for your device and check if PSoC Creator crashes? If not, then I will proceed to debug your application to find the exact cause of your crash.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I tried running Clock_Example01 and the debugger has not stopped...

Regards

Guido

0 Likes

Excuse me Dheeraj, but I have to proceed with my work. If the problem I reported requires an analysis that goes on in time, let me know how I can get back to PSoC Creator 3.2 and related programming and debugging software in a safe way. When the 4.2 will be OK, I will reinstall it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Guido

0 Likes

You can have multiple versions of PSoC Creator running. So just install the version of your choice and resume your work. Once I debug your issue, you can go back to working with version 4.2. You can find the other versions here: http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/psoc-creator-software-archive

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

The C source code is not relevant at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Guido

0 Likes

Guido,

I suspect that there is no clock output because the XTAL didn't start. Switch PLL source to IMO for a moment to test clock and PWM.

/odissey1

0 Likes

I checked on the crystal by the oscilloscope: the clock is running.

0 Likes

Yes, I have unstable work under Windows XP since PSoC Creator 4.1.

As I understand it's normal. Requires Windows 7 and higher.

many minutes to compile the application if my projects are on a usb flash card so I only use a USB drive. 

But I did not test it with Windows 10.

0 Likes

And is there a safe way to get back to 3.2?

0 Likes

Thank you very much.

The web page tells me I am logged in, but I can not download anything, because a log in is required: what have I to do?

0 Likes

The behavior of your web pages is nothing short of amazing.

Webpage.PNG

0 Likes

Click on the links and it will download. What problem are you facing? Please elaborate.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

i do so:

1.png

0 Likes

I'm not so stupid.Webpage 2.PNG

0 Likes

I realize that you are used to responding to eagles that do not know how to recast an integer to a floating point, but I am 66 years old, I am 49 years old working in electronics and 43 years writing software.

If I tell you that a web page does not work, before giving me the idiot, check what it does, please.

Webpage 3.PNG

0 Likes

I have had problems with their downloads also.  Sometimes their pages get into a loop.

The "standard" response page tries to download a resuming downloader that eventually downloads your file.  If you click on the blue portion next to the name, it should bring up the akami page, and then a pop-up should show up.

If the popup does not show up, click on the blue text "download the file without using the download manager"

That should cause it to work.  If it does not work, try going to getfirefox.com and download firefox web browser.  That web browser will work with Cypress site.  Microsoft has been changing I.E. and it sometimes breaks.

Once you have PSOC Creator 3.3 installed, you will not be able to open PSOC Creator 4.X files in it.  What you can do is open both 3.3 and 4.x psoc creator simultaneously, and in most cases, copy the schematic symbols from one design sheet to another design sheet.  Sometimes the copy fails, in that case, you have to recreate the schematic.

You can also copy the source code files from one system to another.

I personally stay away from windows 10 due to its built in keylogger and its refusal to stop sending info to Microsoft without a *whole* lot of configuring of obscure settings.

At our office, we use iMac's and VMWare and Windows 7 inside VM's.   That saves hours and hours of issues with viruses and other problems.

I also don't use MiniProg3 anymore, it has too many problems, especially with vm's, I use the kitprog whenever I can.  It is the break-away debugger on the end of the cheap cy8ckit-059.  It works well with PSOC Creator 3.3, but very slowly with 4.1, and 4.2.

I am 63, and have been writing software since 8th grade and doing electronics design since 1978.  Microsoft seems to find a way to break working code on a daily basis. I suspect they are more at fault than Cypress in this case.

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your help.

After 8 attempts, the download has started and now I have my install file (I hope).

Anyway in the web page all install file has its closed padlock, with its hint that say "Login required": I do not think this is a Microsoft mistake...

Regards.

Guido

0 Likes

Yes, that GUI icon is simply wrong for that location when facing the general public in terms of giving a hint that you can download that item.

Everyone who looks at something over and over starts ignoring repeating elements, and so doesn't necessarily understand when someone complains.  They literally don't see it any more.

0 Likes
lock attach

Working in the following environment

About PSoC Creator 1.PNG About PSoC Creator 2.PNG

and programming the IC, the only non-high-impedance pin is pin 17 (Port 5 [1]), which shows the supply voltage, whereas it should be in high impedance, being an input without a pull-up.

I then reinstalled version 3.25.0 of the PSoC Programmer, but, using the ICs that I had previously programmed with the other version, all 10 pins used in the application are in high impedance.

I deduce that those ICs are irreversibly damaged and are 4 pieces that I paid 70 euros. To the detriment should be added that so far I have lost 9 days of work, while I did not receive any useful info from you, apart from the address of a web page that only works partially and only when it wants to do it.

In my view, with the current releases of the Creator and the Programmer, you have lost the control of PLD programming on PSoC 5 and only God knows when you will come out. In the meantime, I am stuck, because I have only one IC survivor and I do not intend to damage it with other random tests.

In any case, I believe that I will never install the later versions of the Creator, given how inefficient, heavy and long the execution is.

Regarding the difficulties encountered in downloading files from the archives, see below why I state that those web pages are made with feet.

Archive failures.png

Draw the conclusions of the case.

In the past, as you can see from my previous MyCases, I was enthusiastic about the support received. If today a friend asked me for advice on the reliability of Cypress products and support, I should tell him to forget your name.

I enclose the whole project with the note that is to be opened with Creator 3.3 CP3.

If you kindly try to program a CY8C5868AXI-LP35 with the Programmer 3.27.3, check if the I / Os do what they have to do and let me know the result of your test, maybe we unlock the situation, otherwise I will resign myself to forget you.

0 Likes

With respect to the my previous suggestion, I only meant that you can directly click on the download link irrespective of the padlock sign and it will download, not otherwise. I agree that it is confusing and we appreciate the feedback and we hope to fix it soon though I can't guarantee a timeline.

Can you tell me at what point is PSoC Creator crashing? Is it during programming or abruptly? Use Debug > Attach to running target to find out where exactly the crash is occurring. I have PSoC Creator 4.0 and 4.2 and your project seems to work without crashing. This might also be a device specific issue, so can you try this on a different Windows 10 machine? Can you try the above suggestions and tell me your observations? Also, try out your code in the latest versions.

About the GPIOs doing the functionality or not isn't related to the original issue and you can create a new thread for that. We hope to give you a solution for why your PSoC Creator is crashing on the Windows 10 machine in this thread. It will help other users with similar issue to get a solution.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

With respect to the my previous suggestion, I only meant that you can directly click on the download link irrespective of the padlock sign and it will download, not otherwise. I agree that it is confusing and we appreciate the feedback and we hope to fix it soon though I can't guarantee a timeline.

Which is the “download link” for you, please? For me is this button Button.png, but it does not work, because the padlock is closed, I think. Where did you write “click on the title to start the download”, please?

Can you tell me at what point is PSoC Creator crashing? Is it during programming or abruptly? Use Debug > Attach to running target to find out where exactly the crash is occurring. I have PSoC Creator 4.0 and 4.2 and your project seems to work without crashing. This might also be a device specific issue, so can you try this on a different Windows 10 machine? Can you try the above suggestions and tell me your observations?

First problem

Returning to the content of my e-mail of 9 days ago to CDC3.3@cypress.com, which obviously no one has read, I reported the following that are referred to Creator 4.2 and Programmer 3.27.3.

I standardized the CY8C5868AXI-LP035 for my applications and I have always powered it at 5V, because I work in the industrial field and I need high noise immunity.

The first surprise I had when I tried to power the microcontroller via the MiniProg3, which shown me the following Warning.

Warning.PNG

On the Design Wide Resources (*.cydwr) /System page of the development environment, all voltages from VDDA to VDDIO3 are all set to 5V and no error is reported after the compilation.

Why this warning is shown, which moreover refers to microcontrollers different from the one I use?

When I tried to program the IC from the Creator 3.3 by the Programmer 3.27.3 I had the same warning. I always set the voltage to 5V, the programming was aborted because no communication was possible between the MiniProg3 and the IC.

Setting the voltage to 3.3V, the programming was completed, but the I / Os were uncontrolled.

Second problem

With the Creator 4.2 and the Programmer 3.27.3 I had crashes during the programming and during the debugging, on both my Windows 10 PCs It happened just on one IC. During the debugging the behavior was nothing happens after an F11 command, for example.

Both my Windows 10 PCs worked perfectly with Creator 3.2 and Programmer 3.24.4, and my problem now is only that the output pins are uncontrolled.

Also, try out your code in the latest versions.

Latest versions of what?

About the GPIOs doing the functionality or not isn't related to the original issue and you can create a new thread for that.

What does this sentence mean? My problem is exactly that the GPIOs do not their work, that I can not obtain a 25 Hz real time clock and so on. The c source code is not involved in any way, now.

We hope to give you a solution for why your PSoC Creator is crashing on the Windows 10 machine in this thread. It will help other users with similar issue to get a solution.

I can not care less about what it takes to explain why PSoC Creator 4.2 does not work with Windows 10, since up to this point it has damaged 4 ICs and it takes a lifetime to compile.

Now I shall have to wait for September to have the cards repaired on which there are broken ICs. I will point out that I am losing a lot of time to have no useful information from you.

Do not you think it would be more productive for Cypress to understand why the PLD of the PSoC 5 is no longer programmed correctly?

Regards.

Guido

0 Likes

1) Solution to your first problem:

The warning that you see:

Warning.PNG

The on board programming circuit of the PSoC Device requires only a 3.3V supply. During programming you need to ensure you place the jumpers accordingly so that you can draw 3.3V from the rails as shown below:

power.PNGpower2.PNG

You can get more information in the kit guide at this link in page#17: http://www.cypress.com/file/45276/download . After programming you can switch back the rails to 5V since you require it for your application.

2) Solution to your second problem

I'm sorry but I am unable to recreate this issue at my end. It doesn't crash for me. Try running your project using PSoC Creator 4.2 and not the older versions as it has many bug fixes and new improvements. It might be device specific as there haven't been any other reports of such behavior before.

After implementing the first solution, please check if the GPIOs achieve their desired functionality or not. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I am NOT using the on board programming circuit; I am using a MiniProg3 on my application board. I explained it at least 3 times.

I never had problems with the PLD programming until 10 days ago, when I installed the Creator 4.2 and the programmer 3.27.3.

I started working with CY8C5868AXI-LP035 on 2013 and I never had any programming problem until today.

Do you think it is really so strange that I am sure something is wrong inside the newest release of the Creator and/or on the Programmer?

I completed an application on February 2017, using my MiniProg3, my application board, the Creator 3.3 CP3 and the Programmer 3.24.4 without having any problem.

Can you please explain me why now nothing works, if the newest release are so perfect?

You are evading the only two real problems I exposed:

1 - The PLD of the PSoC 5 is not properly programmed.

2 - The programming procedure damages the IC.

Would you be kind enough to answer these remarks?

Regards.

Guido

0 Likes

I suggest that you do the following:

1) Generate the hex file of your application using PSoC Creator 4.2.

2) Connect in the following manner: PC > Miniprog 3 > 5 Pin > PSoC 5LP Application Board

3) Open PSoC Programmer 3.27.3

4) Connect to your Miniprog 3

5) Use the following settings: SWD and 3.3V

6) Load the hex file you generated in step 1

7) Hit program and check if the operation is successful in the PSoC Programmer window

If you get any error during programming, it will be shown in the window. Tell me what you see if it fails.

Can you share the schematic of your application board? I think that will help answer the two problems you are facing.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
lock attach

This will be my last contribution to this case in the blog.

I managed to recover the operation of the programming on the only PC that mounts XP among those I have and I can therefore provide precise information on what happened.

1 - My application works perfectly and does not present any anomaly.

2 - ICs that have been programmed by Creator 4.2 and Programmer 3.27.3 all have pins 18 and 19 faulted and no longer controlled.

3 - The other pins work.

4 - I therefore confirm that Creator 4.2 and Programmer 3.27.3, used under Windows 10 do not correctly program the PLD of the PSoC 5 LP and damage the ICs.

5 - Under Windows 10, if you uninstall your applications with the appropriate operating system procedure, your installer is not launched and the uninstallation does not remove the files that are no longer used, nor the related registry keys. As a result, if you try to install earlier releases, the installation stops and is abandoned.

6 - Still under Windows 10, manually removing files and keys, I reinstalled Creator 3.3 CP3 and Programmer 3.24.4. The Creator works, but the MiniProg3 is not recognized and does not work.

7 - Do not ask me to do further tests with your applications under Windows 10 because I have had enough damage and make your applications working is your job, not mine.

8 - For completeness, I enclose the tested release of my application, to be opened with Creator 3.1 or later.

Conclusion: warn users who use Windows 10 that your applications do not work with that operating system and solve the disaster you have made.

It would not be a bad thing if the compilation time of the new Creator versions were as reasonable as they were before the last "improvements".

I hope that I will be informed when I shall can safely use a new version of the Creator with Windows 10.

I have only one more question: is there a version of your applications that works under Mac OSx?

I just have to offer my warmest congratulations for the efficiency, the preparation and the timeliness of your new customer’s technical assistance: 13 days of empty talk to not solve any problem and not even get useful information was an experience I missed.

Good job.

0 Likes

1 - My application works perfectly and does not present any anomaly.

Ans. As i mentioned previously, application works perfectly and must be an issue with your PC

2 - ICs that have been programmed by Creator 4.2 and Programmer 3.27.3 all have pins 18 and 19 faulted and no longer controlled.

3 - The other pins work.

Ans. Not been able to recreate this

4 - I therefore confirm that Creator 4.2 and Programmer 3.27.3, used under Windows 10 do not correctly program the PLD of the PSoC 5 LP and damage the ICs.

Ans. Without the schematic of your application board, hard to say why the ICs are getting damaged

5 - Under Windows 10, if you uninstall your applications with the appropriate operating system procedure, your installer is not launched and the uninstallation does not remove the files that are no longer used, nor the related registry keys. As a result, if you try to install earlier releases, the installation stops and is abandoned.

Ans. As mentioned earlier, you can have multiple versions of PSoC Creator running on your system. You don't need to uninstall. I don't understand why the installation stops due to files from other versions, it is strange. Will try to recreate this.

6 - Still under Windows 10, manually removing files and keys, I reinstalled Creator 3.3 CP3 and Programmer 3.24.4. The Creator works, but the MiniProg3 is not recognized and does not work.

Ans. Refer the following KBA to debug: Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

7 - Do not ask me to do further tests with your applications under Windows 10 because I have had enough damage and make your applications working is your job, not mine.

Ans. The only reason I asked you to test it on your system is because the application runs fine on my Windows 10 system and I do not get any of the issue you are facing. Hence, running the test on your system is the only option.

8 - For completeness, I enclose the tested release of my application, to be opened with Creator 3.1 or later.

Ans. I'm glad it works. Thank you for sharing your insights and expertise.

Conclusion: warn users who use Windows 10 that your applications do not work with that operating system and solve the disaster you have made.

It would not be a bad thing if the compilation time of the new Creator versions were as reasonable as they were before the last "improvements".

Sorry that the new Creator versions didn't prove as useful to you. We hope to make it better, thank you for the feedback.

I have only one more question: is there a version of your applications that works under Mac OSx?

PSoC Creator currently only supports Windows platforms. You can have a virtual machine (VM) running Windows setup on your Macbook to run PSoC Creator.

I just have to offer my warmest congratulations for the efficiency, the preparation and the timeliness of your new customer’s technical assistance: 13 days of empty talk to not solve any problem and not even get useful information was an experience I missed.

Good job.

As much as I appreciate the sarcasm, please maintain the decorum of the forum and speak your issues as much straight to the point as possible so that others who look at this thread don't get misinformed or misguided. We are a friendly community and always happy to help!

Thank you for sharing your project and contributing to the community.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

The only conclusion I can draw is that your programs work with Windows 10 if they feel like it and / or if Windows 10 wants to make them working.

This is very exciting, but it is not my problem and I have already damaged enough ICs.

Get on with each other and with Microsoft: I can not solve your problems and I expect you and Microsoft to do your job.

I hope you will let me know when there are versions of Creator and Programmer that are FULLY TESTED under Windows 10.

About Mac OSx, I was simply hoping to get around Windows 10, because I have also a Mac...

Guido

0 Likes

Sure, will let you know in case we are able to reproduce such errors and fix it. Hope we have reached the end of the discussion!

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Of course! No problem has been solved, I have damages on four boards, I lost 13 days of work, I work with a 3.3 CP3, which stops working every quarter of an hour, and so everything goes very well. I could not be more satisfied with the support I received; I will certainly recommend it to friends!

My fixed PC, on which all the disaster happened, receives updates twice a week. Is yours fully updated?

Guido

0 Likes

PSoC Creator 3.3 is outdated and I recommend you to work on our latest version 4.2 (Link: http://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide  ).

We have seen some issues of 4.2 crashing during specific circumstances. I will attach those threads below.

3) Re: PSOC Creator 4.2 random shutdown error in ucrtbase.dll after windows 10 1803 update

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

PSoC Creator 3.3 is outdated and I recommend you to work on our latest version 4.2 (Link: http://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide ).

Is there a way in which I can make you understand that Creator 4.2 + Windows 10 have spoiled me four IC and that I do not have others to throw away, since I pay them € 17 each to be added to the cost of repairing the card on which they are mounted?

No, no error message in my case, simply the program does not do anything anymore and you have to cut it off by the task manager.

No, in my case the environment has never closed.

Regards,

Dheeraj

I have two PCs that run Windows 10 and work differently from each other. My feeling is that with the advent of Windows 10 there are no longer two PCs that behave the same way. The problem is not just about your applications, but even the basic functions of the operating system, such as network management. That is why, in a previous speech, I recommended that you agree with Microsoft. The problem could arise from criticalities between Windows 10 and the environment in which you develop your applications, for example.

Regards.

Guido

0 Likes

As you mentioned, there might be some interference by Microsoft processes which maybe be affecting PSoC Creator 4.2. We have seen issues of PSoC Creator 4.2 crashing when Visual Studio is running simultaneously for example. We are definitely working towards improving this. The only reason we recommend you to work on latest version 4.2 is because we can only provide software upgrades to the latest version and if you get any bugs in 3.3, it won't be serviced and only workarounds can be given. I do understand why you would want to work on 3.3 though.

Do let me know if any error message pops up when the crash happens (on v4.2) anytime in the future. It will help us debug the issue.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I will try again the latest version of the Creator when you come out with an update, hoping that this will not produce other damages for me.

Let me know when there will be news, please.

Regards.

Guido

0 Likes