CAN I get VID & PID from CYPRESS? and how can I do that?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

I am a CYPRESS chip(CY7C68013A) userand I am developing USB products and I have few questions below

1. 1. Can I use CYPRESS's VID in my end products?free or not?
  2. 2. Can I use CYPRESS's PID in my end products?free or not?
  3. 3. How can I get a VID & PID from CYPRESS?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

- CY7C64225 is a bridge device that is used as part of the system whereas CY7C68013A is a peripheral controller that comes up as the end product. The drivers for bridge devices are pushed to Windows Update by Cypress with the VID/ PID combination mentioned in the device datasheet but the drivers for peripheral controllers such as CY7C68013A are not pushed for Windows Update. Hence, when the Cypress provided VID/PID is used with the bridge devices, it is not an issue whereas when Cypress VID/ PIDs are used along with peripheral controllers, it can cause improper binding of drivers owing to different vendors using the same VID/ PID combination.

So, the Cypress VID/ PIDs can be used for testing purposes and when the end product is to be released, it is essential to use a different VID issued by USB.org.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got two kind of answer in the community:

1. You can get vid from cypress and used in your end products.

Using a CY7C64225 USB to UART Bridge Controller in a Customer Application with the Cypress VID - KBA...

data:2012-8-17

2.You can't ! you can only use cypress VID in your products testing stage

Using cypress VID/PID in end product

data:2011-12-27

So, wich answer is right?

0 Likes

Hello,

- CY7C64225 is a bridge device that is used as part of the system whereas CY7C68013A is a peripheral controller that comes up as the end product. The drivers for bridge devices are pushed to Windows Update by Cypress with the VID/ PID combination mentioned in the device datasheet but the drivers for peripheral controllers such as CY7C68013A are not pushed for Windows Update. Hence, when the Cypress provided VID/PID is used with the bridge devices, it is not an issue whereas when Cypress VID/ PIDs are used along with peripheral controllers, it can cause improper binding of drivers owing to different vendors using the same VID/ PID combination.

So, the Cypress VID/ PIDs can be used for testing purposes and when the end product is to be released, it is essential to use a different VID issued by USB.org.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes