quick charge battery bank using CCG3PA

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

Hello everybody !

i'm working on personal project if i succed i will start my business, so i would like to make battery bank with only USB-c type so i selected the cypress CCG3PA because it is sertified QC 4+ by qualcom, i also found this project on the cypress website

CCG3PA 18W Power Bank Reference Design using Southchip but i would like to get a help how can i remove the 2 USB-A and the micro USB to have only 2 or 3 USB-c is that possible if yes how can do that ? and one more thing how can i add temperature sensor to it ?

0 Likes
1 Solution
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

CCG3PA is a single port PD controller. Only one type-C port can be supported.

Instead, another way is to use one CCG3/PA to each port. The power subsystem needs to be modified to handle the branch out.

Temperature sensor can be added to any GPIO and internal ADC can be used to measure the value (see 'Functional overview' part in CCG datasheets).

These documents might be helpful for you: http://www.cypress.com/file/234156/download​ ; http://www.cypress.com/file/400556/download ​;

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RajathB_01

Hi,

CCG3PA is a single port PD controller. Only one type-C port can be supported.

Instead, another way is to use one CCG3/PA to each port. The power subsystem needs to be modified to handle the branch out.

Temperature sensor can be added to any GPIO and internal ADC can be used to measure the value (see 'Functional overview' part in CCG datasheets).

These documents might be helpful for you: http://www.cypress.com/file/234156/download​ ; http://www.cypress.com/file/400556/download ​;

Regards,

Rajath

thank you so much for your answer, it is very helpfully i studied the situation

i decided to : 3 CCG3PA for 3 USB type-c  two of them would be dual role in/out and i would like to be able to charge the power bank with the two usb simultaneously for faster charging knowing the battery would be 8 18650 lithium-ion battery 3.5Ah and 3.6-4.2V in parallel so 28Ah over 100W !

and i'm trying to take inspiration from the

"CCG3PA 18W Power Bank Reference Design using Southchip"

but the SC8913 Buck-Boost charger doesn't have nay english data sheet or documentation in chinese !

so i was looking for buck-booster on TI  and i found this TPS63070  do you think is it good for my project can you sugest me another and can you you give more ideas ??

0 Likes

Hi,

Please note that CCG3 can also be used instead of CCG3PA.

There is a powerbank reference design using CCG3 + MPS. Datasheet of MPS is available.

See if this helps you.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi!

You might take a look at Intersil / Renesas. They have very feature rich and well documentet bi-directional buck/boost converters. We have integrated isl95338 with CCG4 and works very well. There are some other variants as well for power banks.

Cheers

Olof

chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

hello couldn't mark this thread as soled cause i really didn't solve my question, so i come back two direct question !

i wanted to make a power bank based on the

CCG3PA 18W Power Bank Reference Design using Southchip

1) but there are really not documentation out there about the southchip, so selecting a boost/buck converter is really tricky for me so i found this from texas intruments BQ25713 is it good enough ?

2) i got CCG3PA can control only one usb type -c so if i'm going to use one or more chip CCG3PA or CCG3PA  so i need also more boost-buck converter ?

0 Likes

Hi,

1) The BQ25713 seems like a good option for the battery charge controller in consumer path. I would suggest you look at NCP81239 from Onsemi for the buck-boost regulator in the provider path.

2) Yes. You need as many buck-boost and provider paths as the number of ports and CCG3PA's. If you use 3 ports, you need 3 CCG3PA's and 3 buck-boost regulators in the provider path.

However, note that you can stil have only one battery charge controller since all consumer paths charge a single battery pack in the powerbank.

Regards,

Rajath

i have just a question about the part where you said i still can have only one one battery charge controller since all consumer paths charge a single battery pack in the powerbank. this is a litle bit confusing you the battery in the power bank right ? the buck-booster charges it right ?? as the the type c port is bi directional

0 Likes
chch_3621411
Level 4
Level 4
First like given

Hi! again,

thanks you all for the answer that was both usefully

0 Likes
RajathB_01

Hi,

You are right, but I was not sure if BQ25713 would become a PD compliant source. So I just gave an option of having either :

1) one BQ25713 for each port, or,

2) one NCP81239 (provider path) and one BQ25713 or any other battery charger (consumer path) for each port.

You can test with only BQ25713 and choose whichever option will be most suitable for you.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes