I have two CYBT_353027_EVAL boards and I can't get them to work with WICED Studio 6.2.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoSt_3481606
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

I have tried both OSX and Windows 10 using the notes and instructions.  I have also installed the platform files per the knowledge base.  In both instances WICED can't download or see the boards.  I have also tried putting them into recovery.  I doubt that both boards are bad.

What am I missing here?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Joshua,

We were able to reproduce the state you are in and found a work around to unblock your system and force recovery mode.

The process to recover the CYBT-353027-EVAL board:

NOTE (you may want to note the paths in step 9 before starting). 

1. Remove the USB power from the EVAL board.
  2. Connect a jumper wire from UART CTS (J1 Pin 5) to and GND identified on the Arduino headers (we have used J3 Pin 7). 
  3. Connect the USB power to the EVAL board
  4. Press and hold the Recover Button (SW2)
  5. Press the Reset Button (SW1) for 1 second
  6. Release the Reset Button (SW1)
  7. Release the Recover Button (SW2) shortly after releasing the Reset button
  8. Open a CMD terminal in windows
  9. Navigate to the 20706-A2_Bluetooth folder where you installed WICED:

Example Path = C:\WICED SDK\WICED-Studio-6.2\20706-A2_Bluetooth 

NOTE:  Your Path may differ.

You can find the location by right clicking the 20706-A2_Bluetooth folder in WICED and selecting properties to view the location. 

pastedImage_3.png

Cd into this directory. 

1. Once in this directory in the Terminal, execute the following command:

..\wiced_tools\ChipLoad\Win32\ChipLoad.exe -BLUETOOLMODE -LAUNCHADDRESS 0x00000000 -PORT COM5 -BAUDRATE AUTO -MINIDRIVER platforms/CYBT_353027_EVAL/uart.hex -BTP platforms/CYBT_353027_EVAL/CYBT_353027_EVAL_SFLASH.btp -NODLMINIDRIVER -CONFIG build/hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release/hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex

NOTE: Your COM port number may be different that the Yellow highlighted “5” above.

NOTE: Your project folder and .hex file name may be different than what is shown in the Green highlighted text.  This is where you specify the path to your .hex file. 

This has worked for us after forcing the Eval board into a corrupted state.  We will be updating the Programming Article to articulate this more clearly thanks to your feedback.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks,
Dave

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Did you refer to this KBA for the download Programming an EZ-BT WICED Module – KBA223428

Can you attach a screenshot of your SDK in the windows 10 for us?

0 Likes

Yes, I referred to that and did exactly all of that.  It doesn't seem to see the module in wiced studio. I have no problem opening the serial ports so I know the usb serial chip seems to be working.  For some reason wiced studio doesn't work.  It gets no response back when it sets the baud rate.

What screen shot do you want?

0 Likes

Again, I have tried this on both windows 10 and Mac OS X with the same results.  I am wondering if it is related to the mini driver and maybe this board was never setup right at the factory.  I have 2 boards so the results are consistent with both.

0 Likes

Please turn off the PUART(SW5) and turn on the HCI UART(SW4) when you program the board.

I just tried to program the module and I can program it successfully. As I don't have the EVAL board on my hand, I use a module board and program it with a USB to UART tool.

Could you show me a screenshot contains the make target name, the platform files and the console information as follows:

pastedImage_0.png

Same Results.  Also tried putting it in recovery mode.  I know the driver seems to be installed right as the serial tool sees the chip.  I also attached the detect.log

wiced-capture.JPG

captureserial.JPG

0 Likes

Could you find the UART port in the device manager?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

Yes, 2 ports as there are supposed to be.  I have done all the steps.  There is something not working right.  I am thinking the usb-serial chip may not be configured right.  I used a terminal program to open the comports and I don't see anything coming through on an oscilloscope on either the hci uart rx tx or the puart rx tx.  Is it possible, they never did that at the factory?

0 Likes

One other piece of information is that the RX and TX leds of the CY7C65215 don't light up when I am using the comport in my terminal program with either port open.

0 Likes

I just tried again with the scope, and with the terminal program open and me typing, I see data come through fine, so it appears to be related to wiced.

0 Likes

Here is a logic analyzer trace from the hci uart when wiced studio tries to download the program.  It sends 0x01 0x03 0x0C 0x00 and gets nothing back.  It also seems to be mapping com11 to the hci uart and com8 to the puart.  i can get around that, by specifying the uart.

wicedcapture.JPG

0 Likes

Where did you get the demo board? If you get them from the distribute, please contact them to solve the problem. If you buy them from the Cypress Store, please create a RMA Request in the case system to get a new board.

Joshua,

We were able to reproduce the state you are in and found a work around to unblock your system and force recovery mode.

The process to recover the CYBT-353027-EVAL board:

NOTE (you may want to note the paths in step 9 before starting). 

1. Remove the USB power from the EVAL board.
  2. Connect a jumper wire from UART CTS (J1 Pin 5) to and GND identified on the Arduino headers (we have used J3 Pin 7). 
  3. Connect the USB power to the EVAL board
  4. Press and hold the Recover Button (SW2)
  5. Press the Reset Button (SW1) for 1 second
  6. Release the Reset Button (SW1)
  7. Release the Recover Button (SW2) shortly after releasing the Reset button
  8. Open a CMD terminal in windows
  9. Navigate to the 20706-A2_Bluetooth folder where you installed WICED:

Example Path = C:\WICED SDK\WICED-Studio-6.2\20706-A2_Bluetooth 

NOTE:  Your Path may differ.

You can find the location by right clicking the 20706-A2_Bluetooth folder in WICED and selecting properties to view the location. 

pastedImage_3.png

Cd into this directory. 

1. Once in this directory in the Terminal, execute the following command:

..\wiced_tools\ChipLoad\Win32\ChipLoad.exe -BLUETOOLMODE -LAUNCHADDRESS 0x00000000 -PORT COM5 -BAUDRATE AUTO -MINIDRIVER platforms/CYBT_353027_EVAL/uart.hex -BTP platforms/CYBT_353027_EVAL/CYBT_353027_EVAL_SFLASH.btp -NODLMINIDRIVER -CONFIG build/hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release/hello_sensor-CYBT_353027_EVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hex

NOTE: Your COM port number may be different that the Yellow highlighted “5” above.

NOTE: Your project folder and .hex file name may be different than what is shown in the Green highlighted text.  This is where you specify the path to your .hex file. 

This has worked for us after forcing the Eval board into a corrupted state.  We will be updating the Programming Article to articulate this more clearly thanks to your feedback.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks,
Dave

That worked!  So what was the situation that got the boards locked up in the first place?

Thanks

Josh

0 Likes

The lockup is caused by the application not being able to boot from the external flash.  This can be caused by a number of different circumstances:  1) defective flash (rare), 2) image programmed exceeds the RAM space available in the device, 3) programming process stopped mid cycle (doesn't always result in a recovery situation, but often will). 

Dave

0 Likes