Hey I am completely new to this. I bought a PSoC creator 5lp but there is no USB that comes with it. Does anyone know where I can get the USB so I can get started on programming it?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I am completely new to this. I bought a PSoC creator 5lp but there is no USB that comes with it. Does anyone know where I can get the USB so I can get started on programming it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

"Can I program with the micro USB cable side? It has tape over it so I wasn't sure if I should touch that side."

That's the side that actually runs.  If you want to make something that connects by USB, that's the side you generally need to use.

The tape is just for protection.

There are two main ways to program a chip - with an external programmer, or self-programming.  The external programmer is generally easier, as you can break the firmware for your chip and not have any problems.  That's why the little board is on there - it's an external programmer for the target.

It is possible to use a chip to program itself, but you generally have to use what's called a bootloader.  These are more commonly done when you actually ship a product, as you don't want to include the cost to add a programmer to each device, and you want to be able to update.

PSoC creator marks the bootloader memory as read-only, so it doesn't get corrupted.  When the bootloader runs, it can wait for commands, and update the running program.

This would let you program the target (micro USB) side by Micro USB, but would require you to first make an app that had the Bootloader component on it.  Otherwise, the chip has no way to listen for commands, and has to be programmed by the programmer (small) side.

I would strongly suggest reading the appropriate guide for your prototyping kit, and looking through the examples.  If you have a CY8CKIT-059, this is probably what you want:

http://www.cypress.com/file/157971/download

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Get hands on a Cy8CKIT-059. This board has got a snap-off programmer/debugger working with USB.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I know there is the snap off programmer but I want to know what the usb is called that you can connect to the stripes to program the programmer.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

Lack of information.

What pcb are you using? a Cypress Kit?? Which one: CY8CKIT-0??

If a Cypress kit: There are two PSoC5 LP on the board, one is the programmer and one is the target chip. Do you really want to program the programmer's PSoC? As a beginner??

I cannot understand "connect to the stripes" What "stripes"?

"what the usb is called" A PSoC5 has got an USB interface, all properties are set using Creator 4.2 IDE

Bob

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Just plug the unit into your USB port or cable and make sure you have the gold pins up.  It should work.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My usb doesn’t fit that’s why I’m asking if there is a special USB that I need?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes

That board is designed to plug into a standard USB Socket.  Please take a picture of your USB port that you are trying to use and Post the picture here.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a male to male usb. Should I have gotten the male to female?

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 9:55 AM, user_242978793 <

0 Likes

On the prototyping kit, there are two sides - the target side (the big one), and the programmer side (the little one).

The little one can actually be plugged right into the USB port on most computers.  It can also be plugged into a USB hub or USB "extension cord" - type A male to type A female.

IMG_0386.JPG

Depending on the board you have, you may or may not be able to connect the target side to USB.  If you can, it will be with a Micro USB cable.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I program with the micro USB cable side? It has tape over it so I

wasn't sure if I should touch that side.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:59 PM, user_447586425 <

0 Likes

The tape is probably just to protect from debris getting in there.

That microUSB side is connected to the PSoC5.  You can use a USBFS component in Creator to configure and make use of it so your PSoC can act as a USB device.

You could bootload via that microUSB connection, but you can't program with it like you can the other side, no.  That flat USB connection is your dedicated KitProg programming interface.

0 Likes

"Can I program with the micro USB cable side? It has tape over it so I wasn't sure if I should touch that side."

That's the side that actually runs.  If you want to make something that connects by USB, that's the side you generally need to use.

The tape is just for protection.

There are two main ways to program a chip - with an external programmer, or self-programming.  The external programmer is generally easier, as you can break the firmware for your chip and not have any problems.  That's why the little board is on there - it's an external programmer for the target.

It is possible to use a chip to program itself, but you generally have to use what's called a bootloader.  These are more commonly done when you actually ship a product, as you don't want to include the cost to add a programmer to each device, and you want to be able to update.

PSoC creator marks the bootloader memory as read-only, so it doesn't get corrupted.  When the bootloader runs, it can wait for commands, and update the running program.

This would let you program the target (micro USB) side by Micro USB, but would require you to first make an app that had the Bootloader component on it.  Otherwise, the chip has no way to listen for commands, and has to be programmed by the programmer (small) side.

I would strongly suggest reading the appropriate guide for your prototyping kit, and looking through the examples.  If you have a CY8CKIT-059, this is probably what you want:

http://www.cypress.com/file/157971/download

0 Likes

Can I ask a stupid question why can't you plug your kit into the computer and program it as it was intended to be programmed? I know you bought a male to male connector but you where going to connect  that cable to the unit. So just plug the PSOC board into the computer.  Also the example ideal that was sent to you above this will not work as you have no way to boot load the device as you can't put the bootloader program into the target device.

0 Likes