Build changes in 6.1.0.5 move the wifi firmware and clm blob into internal flash.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rashc_2727106
Level 4
Level 4
10 likes received First like received First like given

The 6.1.0.5 sdk includes the following addition to tools/makefiles/wiced_config.mk

LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES += resources/$(WIFI_FIRMWARE_BIN)

LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES += resources/$(WIFI_FIRMWARE_CLM_BLOB)

ifeq ($(RESOURCES_LOCATION), RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS)

INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES += $(filter-out $(LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES), $(ALL_RESOURCES))

endif

For our C4343W project using RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS, this change has the effect of moving the wifi firmware and blob into internal flash.  That's untenable (there isn't space).  Previous 5.2 and 6.0 releases didn't do this.   Was this an intentional effect?  And if so can someone at cypress specify what the change is supposed to enable?  Has there been some other build system change in 6.1 that implies we need (yet another) change in the way resource storage is specified?

For the moment, we're working around the issue for our 6.1 and 6.2 development by simply commenting out these lines. But it would be good to get an understanding Cypress's intent with the change.

0 Likes
1 Solution
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I hope you received the answer in thread download_apps build option not obeyed in 6.2.0.72?

Have you specified RESOURCES_LOCATION := RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS in your application? The resources are stored in internal flash only when location is specified as RESOURCES_IN_DIRECT_RESOURCES.

The statements you mentioned from the makefile filters out the WiFi firmware and blob file from ALL_RESOURCES. Hence the fw and blob goes to external flash.

You can check the config.mk file in the build directory in WICED after building the application to check the resources location.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

I hope you received the answer in thread download_apps build option not obeyed in 6.2.0.72?

Have you specified RESOURCES_LOCATION := RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS in your application? The resources are stored in internal flash only when location is specified as RESOURCES_IN_DIRECT_RESOURCES.

The statements you mentioned from the makefile filters out the WiFi firmware and blob file from ALL_RESOURCES. Hence the fw and blob goes to external flash.

You can check the config.mk file in the build directory in WICED after building the application to check the resources location.

riya Thanks for clarifying the intent of those changes.

But that is not the behavior that I am seeing.  Yes we use RESOURCES_LOCATION := RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS.  But if I leave those new lines in place, then in fact the wifi firmware and clm blob are being placed in internal flash and the build fails as it runs out of space.

I will investigate a little further and see if I can find some conflict between your change there and something else in our config.