Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnGh_2749951
Level 1
Level 1

I has CY8CKIT-049, in this I completely uploaded UART Boolloader. Also many Project on Capsens and UART.

After that I started to make my own KIT of PSoC, In which i used CY8C4245AXI-483 Chip which i bought from element14.

However after completing soldering I connect that controller of PCB to USB to Serial Bridge (CY7C65211-24LTXI) for upload code to controller via UART. After that I start to upload code by Bootloader Host. But I got an error "Unable to read data from target device."

So, I checked all the connection of UART, Power Supply first. Then I checked setting of COM port as well as UART Communication parameter like Baud-rate(115200), Data-Bit(8 bit), Stop-Bit(1), Parity(None). But It's all correct, and I also checked power supply. I am giving 5V DC to Controller.

I attached PDF file which I follow to make my KIT(For follow circuit diagram as well as programming).

Is fresh chip does not contain inbuilt UART boot-loader ? If yes then please give me steps for upload boot-loader.

Please provide suggested solution for upload UART Boot-loader to fresh PSoC chip.

Thank you,

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

A fresh chip does not have a bootloader pre-programmed.

To program a PSoC, even when it is a bootloader only, you need a programmer. Cheapest way to get one is to get a prototyping kit with a snap-off Kitprog as the CY8CKIT-043. These kits allow for programming most of the PSoCs and additionally allow for debugging your project by setting breakpoints, inspecting/setting variables etc.

Bob

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

A fresh chip does not have a bootloader pre-programmed.

To program a PSoC, even when it is a bootloader only, you need a programmer. Cheapest way to get one is to get a prototyping kit with a snap-off Kitprog as the CY8CKIT-043. These kits allow for programming most of the PSoCs and additionally allow for debugging your project by setting breakpoints, inspecting/setting variables etc.

Bob

Thank you for your reply,

I purchased one CY8CKIT-043 KIT today. I find that PSoC is connected with USB Programmer via SWDIO,SWDCLK,GND,VTARG.

I planed to remove USB Programmer from KIT and I'll connect that programmer to my fresh PSoC. After that I'll Program fresh chip by using Bootloader Host.

I am new in PSoC so I don't have enough knowledge about it. I have two questions

1) Is CY8CKIT-043 work with Bootloader Host, Is it will create COM port ? Or I have to try with new software and driver ?

2) What is VTARG Pin in CY8CKIT-043, Is it +5V source pin ?

Could you please provide detailed steps for program fresh PSoC (CY8C4245AXI-483) chip by using CY8CKIT-043 ?

0 Likes

With the Kitprog you do not need to use a bootloader. Programming can be done using PSoC Programmer or Creator.

The Kitprog has got an USB-UART bridge, so you can use the USBUART component to send data via emulated com-port to your PC, see the Kitprog manual. This gets installed on your PC when you install the CY8CKIT-043 KIT files. VTARG is indeed the source voltage, in case of the CY8CKIT-043 KIT 5V.

I purchased one CY8CKIT-043 KIT today. I find that PSoC is connected with USB Programmer via SWDIO,SWDCLK,GND,VTARG.

You forgot XRES which allows the kitprog to reset the target PSoC.

Bob

0 Likes