GPIF II Designer Does Not Load In Windows 10

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
jayac_3554436
Level 2
Level 2

I have two machines - one that is out of space (a disk limited machine with no internal upgrade potential - Windows tablet class device) and a powerful "unlimited" resource workstation.   The limited machine has the latest FX3 SDK installed - and GPIF II Designer works fine.   The "unlimited" machine has a fresh install of the FX3 SDK and the GPIF II Designer does not load.  Unfortunately, debug and development on the weaker of these two machines is not a viable option - I need to get my workstation happy with GPIF II Designer and the rest of the suite.  I'm not sure what works and what does not as of yet - the GPIF II Designer is my first step in development.

Here's a rundown of what I have tried:

1) Reinstall of GPIF II Designer by uninstalling and reinstalling using the .msi in the SDK's "updates" folder.

2) Tried above as administrator

3) Tried reinstalling the .NET 3.5 requirement.  My limited machine did not have this package installed - so I installed it as part of the SDK installation.  The workstation already had .NET 3.5 installed along with many other versions.  The .exe for installing .NET 3.5 from Microsoft bails out - presumably because .NET 3.5 is already installed (which it is).

4) Tried repairing the SDK a few times (entire - not just the GPIF II Designer portion)

5) Tried launching GPIF II Designer as my normal user - and by forcing administrator

6) Tried running GPIF II Designer in each of the available compatibility modes from Vista on to Win 8.1 and all between

7) Tried the sfc thing - no problems found (except the time it took to get there -- translation: "waste of time").

😎 Did the "search-engine thing" to try to find something close enough to attack the issue.  Found some things.  Tried some things.  Nothing either really applied or worked.  One interesting post was about local policy changes and disabling crypto policies.  I checked that - already disabled (so didn't apply) - but it is interesting in how it may relate to the next bullet (maybe)

9) I had a yellow bang on TPM in Windows (the Windows Defender Security Center taskbar icon).  It was out of date because my PC manufacturer doesn't want to cram TPM updates that may mess with drive encryption software and render your HDD a brick.  This is related to Infineon TPM modules and a security flaw which could make it possible to unlock somehow.  This couldn't have been the issue - but I tried enough things - why not?  I updated TPM to the latest version just to get rid of the yellow bang.  Yellow bang gone -- GPIF Designer II still not working.

1,000,000) Probably enough other things so I can say I've tried a million things.

The two machines are different architectures - both x64 - but the workstation is a Xeon while the limited machine is standard issue (Intel).  I do not think this is an interesting difference - so I'm not providing the gory details.

Here is the event log error when I try to launch GPIF II Designer (aka C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\GPIFII Designer\bin\cygraphicaltool.exe)

----------- snip -----------

Fault bucket 2146149135865279118, type 5

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: cygraphicaltool.exe

P2: 1.0.1198.2

P3: 54940ad4

P4: PresentationCore

P5: 3.0.0.0

P6: 5a7d2bb4

P7: 5028

P8: 0

P9: System.TypeInitialization

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER224A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2289.tmp.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER22B7.tmp.csv

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER22C8.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_cygraphicaltool._46ede52786cec59c289588f1fffe6a2a232ca_00000000_3b162641

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 00b37e08-8e46-4ea1-a7c0-ea41053d2be9

Report Status: 268435456

Hashed bucket: 248d9d33a9d61beaadc8a744ae42f28e

Cab Guid: 0

---------- snip ------------

Feel free to suggest another few ideas to throw on the fire.  I'm not going to reinstall Windows.  I can reinstall the SDK again just to do it.  That's likely to be the first suggestion. 

Thanks in advance for the community's help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update:

Up until 10/3, I had no solution to this issue.  The suggestion was to reinstall Windows which I was not willing to do as no other software was having issues except for GPIF Designer.  Cypress could not reproduce - which made this issue understandably difficult to support.  Since the original reporting of issue, Windows has issued several major OS updates and until 10/3 no updates have helped.

Thankfully, the latest update (Feature Update 1809) has "magically" fixed this longstanding issue.  Previously, GPIF Designer would not load without error on my Xeon Windows 10 Workstation Pro system.  However, a retest today after the 1809 update shows GPIF Designer is now loading fine.   Although I have reinstalled GPIF Designer several times in the past - since the last time GPIF Designer was tested (prior to Release 1809 of Windows), I have not reinstalled GPIF Designer.

Only the underlying Windows update has fixed this issue.  Although I do not necessarily agree that the problem is entirely with the OS - the fact that the error no longer occurs at least makes any previous incompatibility issues mute.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
jayac_3554436
Level 2
Level 2

Additional information:

If I add a .config file to the EXE to try to limit .NET versions - the behavior changes.  Without the .config file (on the workstation) I get zero response from the .EXE - no splash or anything except returning to the state as if nothing was launched.  I get the error in the event logs previously posted.

With a .config file added, I will see a splash screen - then GPIF II Designer bails with a different error.

Since last report, I have tried using the .NET repair tool - no help.

I removed .NET 3.5 by pressing the windows key, typing "Windows Features", then turned off the ".NET Framework 3.5 ..." feature.  After this, I was able to run the dotnetfx35setup (.NET 3.5 SP1 setup) to re-install .NET 3.5 - still no go.

0 Likes

Hi Jay,

To reproduce the issue I need to know your exact system configuration. Please follow the following steps on the workstation machine and attach the .txt file:

Step 1: Press "Windows key + r".

Step 2: Type "msinfo32" and press "OK".

Step 3: Go to file menu and click "Export".

Step 4: Save the system log as "txt" file and attach here.

Please try to reinstall the FX3 SDK using the .exe installer. Don't use .msi to install a particular package.

Link for the FX3 SDK:

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

.msi was for GPIF Designer II re-install alone.  I used the SDK EXE for the repair - but I can uninstall and re-install and report back. 

0 Likes

Windows 10 - Apps & Features (Installing Apps)

Cypress Suite USB 3.4.7 - Chose "Uninstall"

UAC, allow app to modify y/n?  Answered yes

Option to Modify/Repair/Remove.  Previously, in earlier documented steps, I answered "Repair".  This time I selected "remove"

Answer "yes" to the "are you sure?" prompt to remove app and all features.

Clicked "finish" to exit installer/uninstaller.

Used supplied link to re-download SDK http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

Which is EZ-USB 1.3.4 for Windows

Answered "yes" for the prompt to allow the app to make changes.

This application recognized a previous install of the SDK - I chose the option to "remove" (Remove all of EZ-USB FX3 SDK)

After a longer period of time - clicked "finish" when EZ-USB 1.3.4 removal was complete.

Used supplied link to re-re-download SDK http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit

Answered "yes" for the prompt to allow the app to make changes.

Clicked "Next" to install to default setup location

Installation type chose "complete"

Agreed to license agreement #1, #2, #3, #4

Registration - continued without adding information

Update manager - found no new updates. (pressed "exit")

Tried to execute "GPIF II Designer" - application received no response (similar to original condition before adding the exe.config file)

Conclusion: reinstall did not help

0 Likes

Hi Jay,

I need the system configuration to progress towards understanding the issue. Could you please follow the following steps:

Step 1: Press "Windows key + r".

Step 2: Type "msinfo32" and press "OK".

Step 3: Go to file menu and click "Export".

Step 4: Save the system log as "txt" file and attach here.

And attach the msinfo file.

Thanks & regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

I had previously sent a PM requesting a secure channel to send the msinfo result.

0 Likes

Sent the requested information through another channel - any update?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Jay,

I tried to reproduce the problem using (almost)same machine and OS but  I found that Gpif 2 designer is working fine. I tried to build a project and I am able to successfully generate the cyfxgpif2config.h file. PFA images for the same.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

Thanks for the followup - how to proceed?  I will test again to ensure there were no updates to GPIF2 Designer that may have affected the outcome.

Regards,Jason

On Saturday, September 22, 2018, 5:26:50 AM CDT, abga <community-manager@cypress.com> wrote:

#yiv7448268082 * #yiv7448268082 a #yiv7448268082 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv7448268082 #yiv7448268082 h1, #yiv7448268082 h2, #yiv7448268082 h3, #yiv7448268082 h4, #yiv7448268082 h5, #yiv7448268082 h6, #yiv7448268082 p, #yiv7448268082 hr {}#yiv7448268082 .yiv7448268082button td {}

|

Cypress Developer Community

|

GPIF II Designer Does Not Load In Windows 10

reply from abga in USB Superspeed Peripherals - View the full discussion

Hi Jay,

I tried to reproduce the problem using (almost)same machine and OS but  I found that Gpif 2 designer is working fine. I tried to build a project and I am able to successfully generate the .config file. PFA images for the same.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Cypress Developer Community

Start a new discussion in USB Superspeed Peripherals by email or at Cypress Developer Community

Following GPIF II Designer Does Not Load In Windows 10 in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Cypress Developer Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Cypress Developer Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Likes

Hi Jay,

Please reinstall the latest FX3 SDK 1.3.4 on the server machine and then try to launch the GPIF2 designer tool. I did it in that way only.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

This is what I did:

1) Uninstalled FX3 SDK 1.3.4 using the Cypress installer2) Downloaded a fresh copy from Cypress.com3) Installed fresh copy using "Typical" setting (which was default) and used the default directory.

Event viewer shows:

Fault bucket 2146149135865279118, type 5Event Name: CLR20r3Response: Not availableCab Id: 0

Problem signature:P1: cygraphicaltool.exeP2: 1.0.1198.2P3: 54940ad4P4: PresentationCoreP5: 3.0.0.0P6: 5a7d2bb4P7: 5028P8: 0P9: System.TypeInitializationP10: 

Attached files:
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER966C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER967D.tmp.xml
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER968D.tmp.csv
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER96AE.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_cygraphicaltool._46ede52786cec59c289588f1fffe6a2a232ca_00000000_513899b8

Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0Report Id: 7c7ce02f-d0ff-4bb3-b531-4b5e2baa3caeReport Status: 268435456Hashed bucket: 248d9d33a9d61beaadc8a744ae42f28eCab Guid: 0

0 Likes

... my plan is to:

1) Install the Windows 10 SDKWindows 10 SDK - Windows app development

2) Try to following following instructions to determine the source of the Event Viewer exception:Debugging .NET based Windows Error Reports (WER)

|

|

Debugging .NET based Windows Error Reports (WER)

Every time a Windows App crashes a 'Windows Error Report' is generated. The report contains some useful informat...

3) Pass information along to see if it is helpful

I'm not sure if the EXE with the exception has the debug symbols embedded to make this work.

|

|

Windows 10 SDK - Windows app development

The Windows SDK for Windows 10 contains headers, libraries, and tools you can use when you create apps that run ...

On Monday, September 24, 2018, 5:38:42 PM CDT, J YamahaSynth <jyamaha@yahoo.com> wrote:

This is what I did:

1) Uninstalled FX3 SDK 1.3.4 using the Cypress installer2) Downloaded a fresh copy from Cypress.com3) Installed fresh copy using "Typical" setting (which was default) and used the default directory.

Event viewer shows:

Fault bucket 2146149135865279118, type 5Event Name: CLR20r3Response: Not availableCab Id: 0

Problem signature:P1: cygraphicaltool.exeP2: 1.0.1198.2P3: 54940ad4P4: PresentationCoreP5: 3.0.0.0P6: 5a7d2bb4P7: 5028P8: 0P9: System.TypeInitializationP10: 

Attached files:
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER966C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER967D.tmp.xml
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER968D.tmp.csv
?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER96AE.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_cygraphicaltool._46ede52786cec59c289588f1fffe6a2a232ca_00000000_513899b8

Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0Report Id: 7c7ce02f-d0ff-4bb3-b531-4b5e2baa3caeReport Status: 268435456Hashed bucket: 248d9d33a9d61beaadc8a744ae42f28eCab Guid: 0

0 Likes

Hi Jay,

After looking into the error logs it seems that you are facing this issue due to some fault in windows. You can search for these errors on microsoft community. You can try re-installing the windows or updating it.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes

Update:

Up until 10/3, I had no solution to this issue.  The suggestion was to reinstall Windows which I was not willing to do as no other software was having issues except for GPIF Designer.  Cypress could not reproduce - which made this issue understandably difficult to support.  Since the original reporting of issue, Windows has issued several major OS updates and until 10/3 no updates have helped.

Thankfully, the latest update (Feature Update 1809) has "magically" fixed this longstanding issue.  Previously, GPIF Designer would not load without error on my Xeon Windows 10 Workstation Pro system.  However, a retest today after the 1809 update shows GPIF Designer is now loading fine.   Although I have reinstalled GPIF Designer several times in the past - since the last time GPIF Designer was tested (prior to Release 1809 of Windows), I have not reinstalled GPIF Designer.

Only the underlying Windows update has fixed this issue.  Although I do not necessarily agree that the problem is entirely with the OS - the fact that the error no longer occurs at least makes any previous incompatibility issues mute.

0 Likes

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the update.

Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes