How to measure the PSOC6 power consumption using CYkit-062?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JunjieC_16
Employee
Employee
Welcome!

Hi 

My customer wants to evaluate the power consumption of PSOC6 for their wearable design. HOw can i do it using the CYkit-062, including Sample Code and hardware modification?

Thanks

Jason

0 Likes
1 Solution
JamesT_21
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored

And I shall add one more level of detail, from the software side. PSoC6 parts have an "energy profiler" block. The PDL has an API to configure and use that block. The profiler does NOT directly measure energy consumption. It counts either the number of events that occur, or the number of clock cycles, for the monitored source, during a profiling window/session. You can monitor multiple sources simultaneously (as I recall, up to eight). Each signal has a 32-bit counter (good for short runs, how long depends upon the clock frequency of the input signal). The PDL supports extending that to 64-bits, so you aren't going to overflow for a couple of decades.

What this is really aimed at is to find out WHY energy is being consumed, rather than how much. There are several defined source signals you can monitor, mostly aimed at asynchronous processes like DMA. Based on the number of events or clock cycles, you could derive "so that probably consumed about X energy." The real power of the profiler block is being able to identify what's going on outside of the CPU processes, which can be a real challenge with a traditional profiling tool.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
srnu_276571
Level 5
Level 5
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hello JCUI,

The power consumption by PSoC 6 device can be measured by connecting an ammeter in series at the jumper J8.  Having said that, it might be a different jumper on the board. Please verify and confirm the board revision number for me.

As for the sample code: if you are looking for low power firmware source code, it is still in works and will be released soon. But for normal power consumption measurement, the customer could go ahead and use any custom firmware.

No hardware modifications would probably be required for power measurement.

Cheers,

Srinivas

0 Likes

Adding to the above, the -062-BLE kit has a current shunt in the PSoC 6 VDD path (200 milli-ohm resistor) and a INA216 current sense amplifier. The voltage output of this goes to the KitProg2. There is an example project (http://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce219517-kitprog2-power-monitoring ) that explains how to use Kitprog2 to measure current and send as UART data to be plotted on the PC.

0 Likes
JamesT_21
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored

And I shall add one more level of detail, from the software side. PSoC6 parts have an "energy profiler" block. The PDL has an API to configure and use that block. The profiler does NOT directly measure energy consumption. It counts either the number of events that occur, or the number of clock cycles, for the monitored source, during a profiling window/session. You can monitor multiple sources simultaneously (as I recall, up to eight). Each signal has a 32-bit counter (good for short runs, how long depends upon the clock frequency of the input signal). The PDL supports extending that to 64-bits, so you aren't going to overflow for a couple of decades.

What this is really aimed at is to find out WHY energy is being consumed, rather than how much. There are several defined source signals you can monitor, mostly aimed at asynchronous processes like DMA. Based on the number of events or clock cycles, you could derive "so that probably consumed about X energy." The real power of the profiler block is being able to identify what's going on outside of the CPU processes, which can be a real challenge with a traditional profiling tool.

0 Likes

Any plans on releasing something similar to Silabs Simplicity Studio - Energy Profiler?

It's a great way to correlate  code vs power-consumption in realtime.

0 Likes

I'm not aware of plans for such a tool at the present. I have passed this in to the product managers as a certifiable  "good thing."

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,jett

such a tool which can evaluate the power consumption of the chip in real time is very useful.The official staff should consider this opinion seriously.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes,this tool is very useful.I like it very much.What a pity,the cypress doesn't have such a tool.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The EE101 Insight-Pro at www.EE101.com does a great job measuring current for these types of designs!

BLECurrent.jpg

0 Likes