PSoC 5 as USB web cam

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

Hi,

Is it possible for a PSoC5 to appear to a USB host as a USB Camera?

If I attach a simple camera chip to a PSoC5, I can easily read images from it.  What I would like now is to send those images to a PC, and I figure the easiest way to do that would be to make the PSoC appear as a USB camera.  Is that possible?

I see that the USB component can easily be configured to act as a UART, Audio source, etc, but I don't see an option to create a USB camera.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Hugo

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

I dont think it is possible to connect a webcam to PSoC3 or PSoC5 via USB. PSoC does not have a USB Host capability and hence a USB cam (assuming the camera is a USB perihperal) can not be connected via USB.

PSoC3/PSoC5 support only Full Speed transfer a maximum of around 1 Mega Byte/Second

Please check this forum links, which may be useful:

camera

how to interface webcam with PSoC 3

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Its not clear how you are attaching and reading images from your camera chip. Even if you did get the image, there is no code library available as such to transmit it to PC. 

However, I must state that PSoC 5 development board does not have USB host capabilities to support input from USB. You need to use any of the other Cypress USB Peripheral Controllers like FX3/FX2LP etc. which can read your image/video data and transmit it to the PC.

You can find its implementation in the application note below: http://www.cypress.com/file/123506/download where it utilizes a USB Video Class (UVC) framework which is available only as a part of the FX3/FX2 firmware.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi ddka,

thanks for your reply.  I am not using the development boards, I am developing my own.

This question is really about the PSoC5 USB component in PSoC Creator, and whether it can be configured to act as an image source.

Hugo

0 Likes

Basically you want the PSoC 5 USB to act as a Mass Storage Device which can transfer images from your SD Card to your PC if I'm not wrong.

But there is no support for Mass Storage as of now as mentioned in the threads below:

Re: USB mass storage Class
Updates on PSoC 5 Mass Storage Programming?

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

No,

As I said, I would like the PSoC5 to appear to the host PC as a USB Camera.  Not a mass storage device.   I.E. I would like the PC to think that a web cam has been plugged in, and to stream video from it as if it were a web cam.

Is that possible?

Hugo

0 Likes

No, its not possible reasons are mentioned in above interactions

AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

I dont think it is possible to connect a webcam to PSoC3 or PSoC5 via USB. PSoC does not have a USB Host capability and hence a USB cam (assuming the camera is a USB perihperal) can not be connected via USB.

PSoC3/PSoC5 support only Full Speed transfer a maximum of around 1 Mega Byte/Second

Please check this forum links, which may be useful:

camera

how to interface webcam with PSoC 3

0 Likes