BLE scan rssi with CYW20706

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LJYe_2922526
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received 5 likes given

Hi forum experts,

I'm using CYW20706 to scan for BLE beacons, and I'm noticing the RSSI value provided by the stack changes erratically between +93 and -38.

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=-32

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=-36

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=-33

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=-36

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=90

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=90

Beacon[0], id=1369100000, batt=0, power=5, zone=88, rssi=-32

I use the wiced_bt_ble_scan() API, and in my wiced_bt_ble_scan_result_cback_t callback hander, I'm printing the 'rssi' field in the provided wiced_bt_ble_scan_results_t directly.

Is this behavior expected?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi LJ:

sorry for reply late, Actually , we are looking into this issue .   but really need more time to have a fix.

and When the rssi is going to be a positive value , it means the distance is very close, that is just as you described .

So I think you can judge the distance according the value captured..  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi  LJ:

what is your test environment now?  for the issue clarification, the best test environment is:

1.  test with a conductive antenna, this will has a very accurate results about the signal

2.   if test the environment on the air,  please test it with a open area which has less reflections.

Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi Lj:

Actually, I can duplicate this RSSI issue in 20706 demo.   and did a lot of tests like setting the high duty adv into indefinite mode in slave side.

but only can reduce the ratio for the wrong value.   but find the regular :

1. The wrong value is always a positive value which is not reasonable in user cases,   we can ignore it .

2.  the actual rssi value like -50 ,-56, -60,  fluctuate in a normal range .

so if you need to collect the rssi value , please ignore the positive value , thanks.

0 Likes

Hi zhez,

We use the RSSI value to estimate location(20706 act as a BLE beacon scanner), so dropping the beacon kind of defeats the purpose.

Questions:

1) Is it possible to find out the max possible valid RSSI? I think I've seen -25. Reason I'm asking is I'm only seeing positive values when the scanner is very very close to the source, (maybe the radio is getting saturated somehow at this point?), and I can simply treat anything above -25 as -25.

2) Could you check the BLE stack source code and see if there is any sign extension bug (If I change 7th bit of 90 to 1, it becomes -38)? If this is the issue we can simply fix it in my app code for now

3) Can we expect a bug fix in the next patch? When is next patch roughly?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi LJ:

sorry for reply late, Actually , we are looking into this issue .   but really need more time to have a fix.

and When the rssi is going to be a positive value , it means the distance is very close, that is just as you described .

So I think you can judge the distance according the value captured..  

Hey zhez,

We are pretty convinced that the issue is just a missing sign bit. We often see sequence like -37, -37, -38, 90, -38, -37, 89, -39.... And if we just add the sign bit back in, it becomes -37, -37, -38, *-38*, -38, -37, *-39*, -39...., which looks very reasonable.

For now we are going to add the bit in our firmware and we look forward to an official fix.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Also just as a guess, I saw a define for 0x7F as invalid RSSI values. Maybe somehow the stack & it with 0x7F when it wanted to set it to 0x7F? Just a guess.

0 Likes