Implementing an Arc Fault detection circuit using Psoc 4 pioneer kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there fellow Psoc members. I am a newbie when it comes to mirco controllers and Psoc technology. I am trying to create a test fixture to measure arc fault for a POE standard to measure the voltage arc for the disconnect action for POE. The set up will have 8 channel read out to the MCU using the ADC ports on the CY8CKIT-042  and external opamp chips INA240A connect to a shunt resistor of .5ohms. The tolerance for error are 5% for current and 2% for the voltage. The circuit diagram has 8 channels that are being monitored for changes in current. Im not sure how to implement it on Psoc using the ADC to replicate the signal going into the MCU?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

As the input is given through a GPIO pin, you should be well within the device absolute maximum

pastedImage_0.png

Now the range input voltage range you will select for measurement will depend on the reference voltage and mode you are selecting in your ADC. It can be VDDA,Vref etc according to your requirement. In PSoC Creator you can go to File -> Code Example  and search for SAR ADC to see example codes for your device.

Best Regards,
VSRS

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
EmHo_296241
Level 5
Level 5
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi,

What are your doubts? You can find examples on how to use ADC on File - Code example. That will be a good starting point on using ADC.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an external current sense circuit and im going to place the output to the ADC. Is there any type of protections or limits to the ADC that I should be aware of? I found some sample code for data collection but I need to transfer the data to excel sheets for every test run is there code on how to do that?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can look at the datasheet for the ADC (Right-click the ADC in the schematic view, and choose "Open Datasheet")

The ADC will support voltages between around ground voltage to around maximum power supply voltage (of the chip itself). This means you can't wire it directly to a wall outlet for example, and will need to make sure any and all voltage measurements are between 0v and the power supply voltage of the chip.

To transfer data to excel sheets, you only need the output to be CSV (comma separated values), and you can achieve this by using a terminal that has copy-paste function to format your data for entry into an excel sheet. Or, you can modify the program to output commas between data values. There are multiple methods for this, and the quickest/most efficient one is the one you should use.

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

As the input is given through a GPIO pin, you should be well within the device absolute maximum

pastedImage_0.png

Now the range input voltage range you will select for measurement will depend on the reference voltage and mode you are selecting in your ADC. It can be VDDA,Vref etc according to your requirement. In PSoC Creator you can go to File -> Code Example  and search for SAR ADC to see example codes for your device.

Best Regards,
VSRS

0 Likes