how to get debug traces ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Has anyone been successful in enable the debug traces ?

There is a procedure description for the BCM92073TAG. However I have not found information about how to do it for the WICED Sense.

Thanks for any hint !

Cheers,

Benoit.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello bchristi,

We did not enable the UP_RX pins to be configurable on the WICED Sense - There was NOT enough room for the switch block.

Thanks

JT.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello bchristi,

We did not enable the UP_RX pins to be configurable on the WICED Sense - There was NOT enough room for the switch block.

Thanks

JT.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JT,

Thanks for your answer, do you mean there is no way to use the USB serial interface ?

Or only way to get traces out of the device is to use the peripheral UART pins ?

Thanks,

Benoit.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bchristi,

The USB is used for downloading the firmware to the Kit.

Traces are available thru the P_UART on other evaluation boards but NOT on the WICED Sense Kit.

Thanks,

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Benoit,

Here is the steps to enable trace on sense evk. It is not perfect but can work.

1. Download the APP to the device.

2. Remove the USB line from the device.

3. Press the reset pin on the device ( Inside the shield)

4. Connect the USB line to the PC

5. Enable trace in WICED IDE and then you can get the message.

The WICED device seems detect the HCI_UART_RX pin , once connected it will goes into boot mode ( download app from PC mode). So the deep/sleep and UART trace over HCI port seems complicated and hard to use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi easyit,

I have resolved my problem by adding additional BT register and use them to retrieve the traces.

The traces are copied into a big buffer and then I use BT actions to fetch the debug prints.

This is working nicely with my laptop running python and a bluetooth dongle. I has the advantage that we do not need the usb cable to retrieve the traces :-). If anyone interested I can post the code.

I was planning to use the same mechanism to retrieve sensor information. E.g. sensors takes information at full speed and store them in a big buffer. Then later on I retireve the sensor information taken during a few seconds and analyze this with python/matlab and elaborate algorithms. However I have been hit by other prioirites. Hence I have not been able to continue this but will certainly do this later on.

Cheers,

Benoit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Behoit,

Really great effort. Please post the code and I will try it too.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Benoit

Could you share me the code of this trace mode?

What is the OS for your PC? Is it Win7 or Win8.1? 

Could you tellme how to configure the PC side?

It is very useful for me, please kindly help.

Thanks

Jean

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jean,

On the PC, I am using a virtualbox linux machine (on top of Windows7). I am using a Bluetooth dongle. Within Linux, I using bluepy.

I will try to put some more information tonight.

However I faced an issue when using big buffers on the WICED. I had to recover the WICED through the special procedure. It looks like if you use/declare too much data, you destroy the booter or something like. Ideally I think the WICED team should protect this and avoid downloading application that is having a too big data section.

Since I have recovered my wiced. I will share my code, including the python scripts to retrieve the traces through Bluetooth.

Cheers,

Benoit.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Benoit

Actually I met same issue as you comment, my usage is basically same as yours.

I need let 20737 store more data and send in one time because need read sensor in small time gap.

Do you used bleprofile_WriteHandleData or bleprofile_sendNotification to send your large data?

I tested bleprofile_WriteHandleData seems ok but need receiver send read command.

I have a 20702 Dongle, but can not find the driver to config it on my pc. ☹ My PC OS is win7 or win8.1.

Jean

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Benoit

I found no need to modify more, the UART can be used, see following modify:

//#define BLE_TRACE_DISABLE

#ifdef BLE_TRACE_DISABLE

BLE_APP_DISABLE_TRACING();

#else

BLE_APP_ENABLE_TRACING_ON_PUART();

#endif

Jean

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jean

by adding your code in wiced_sens.c, does it mean that you are able to see traces on Broadcom debug viewer or any serial teminal ?

i added your suggestion and i didn't see any traces.

Could please share more information ?

thanks

best regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes,Can see the log.

But it is on download mode,not recover mode.

Jean from my iPhone mobile

在 2015年1月8日,18:19,elanoy <communities-list@community.broadcom.com<mailto:communities-list@community.broadcom.com>> 写道:

<http://community.broadcom.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

how to get debug traces ?

reply from elanoy<http://community.broadcom.com/people/elanoy?et=watches.email.thread> in WICED Smart Forums - View the full discussion<http://community.broadcom.com/message/11398?et=watches.email.thread#11398>

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jean.wang

Thanks to you guide, I've found an easier way to trace without pushing the reset button.

The step is similar to the workaround used to run WICED Sense via USB power.

1. Download the APP to the device.

2. Remove the USB line from the device.

3. Power the device by a coin-cell

4. Connect the USB line to the PC (While it is being powered by the coin-cell)

5. remove the coin-cell

6. Enable trace in WICED IDE and then you can get the message.

Therefore, we don't have to open the cover to debug!

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing your findings Prayook.

0 Likes