VBackup and Super Cap for RTC to work

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
antrc_3264986
Level 3
Level 3

Is there instructions to use VBackup and switch sw7 to the super cap to actually have the RTC powered when the kit is off? I want to test and develop code for the RTC and alarms. However, when I disconnect the USB KitProg3 connector that RTC is not powered. I have CY8CKIT- 002 to program and for a UART. I assume that is necessary. I have not found the instructions to power VBackup.

I also assume I will need to bring power to the PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit. Looking in the doc did not find instruction for this.

Can someone help?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello Andrew,

I believe you are planning to use the backup domain (i.e. not power PSoC 6 but run RTC from VBACKUP). If that's the case, then you need to set the switch SW7 to SuperCap position. But before you that please ensure your super cap has sufficient charge. You can use the Cy_SysPm_BackupSuperCapCharge API to enable the charging of super cap while VDDD is present. Note that this charging is slow and can take hours to fully charge a super cap from 0 V.

If you plan on using the VBACKUP to only keep RTC running even when the board is not powered, then all you need to make sure is your super cap has sufficient charge.

Once you have the switch in the super cap position and super cap has sufficient charge, you can disable the PMIC that controls the VDD supply of PSoC 6 while the rest of the kit is powered or you can simply plug-out the power to the board. The RTC should run as long as super cap has charge above 1.4 V. You can use SW2 to enable the PMIC again if the kit is powered.

You can refer to the PDL documentation about Managing PMIC and Back up domain under the SysPm Driver here (default location): file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Cypress/PDL/3.0.1/doc/pdl_api_reference_manual/html/group__group_....

Also refer to FAQ#29 for a known limitation on using P0.4 for PMIC wake up in the Kit user guide.

You can refer to the backup domain chapter in the TRM as well to understand the architecture better.

Let me know if you have any specific question in mind.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
EmHo_296241
Level 5
Level 5
10 solutions authored 50 replies posted 25 replies posted
0 Likes
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello Andrew,

I believe you are planning to use the backup domain (i.e. not power PSoC 6 but run RTC from VBACKUP). If that's the case, then you need to set the switch SW7 to SuperCap position. But before you that please ensure your super cap has sufficient charge. You can use the Cy_SysPm_BackupSuperCapCharge API to enable the charging of super cap while VDDD is present. Note that this charging is slow and can take hours to fully charge a super cap from 0 V.

If you plan on using the VBACKUP to only keep RTC running even when the board is not powered, then all you need to make sure is your super cap has sufficient charge.

Once you have the switch in the super cap position and super cap has sufficient charge, you can disable the PMIC that controls the VDD supply of PSoC 6 while the rest of the kit is powered or you can simply plug-out the power to the board. The RTC should run as long as super cap has charge above 1.4 V. You can use SW2 to enable the PMIC again if the kit is powered.

You can refer to the PDL documentation about Managing PMIC and Back up domain under the SysPm Driver here (default location): file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Cypress/PDL/3.0.1/doc/pdl_api_reference_manual/html/group__group_....

Also refer to FAQ#29 for a known limitation on using P0.4 for PMIC wake up in the Kit user guide.

You can refer to the backup domain chapter in the TRM as well to understand the architecture better.

Let me know if you have any specific question in mind.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

0 Likes