Chipload to RAM 20706

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am attempting to download a simple firmware application onto a 20706 via the HCI commands from another microcontroller. I am getting successful responses from all of the HCI commands, however the application is not booting after I send the LAUNCH_RAM command. In order to rule out anything I could be doing wrong on the main microcontroller, I have attempted to load some sample apps such as a simple LED blinker using Client Control. The download succeeds, however the application is still not running.

I have a previous project that worked just fine, however that hardware included a serial flash chip for the CYW20706A2 to use as a boot ROM. This project features the 20706 as a communications chip for another master microcontroller, so I am trying to load the application on boot, but it seems like loading the application into RAM using the .hcd files and then executing the LAUNCH_RAM command does not actually start the application.

Does anyone have experience with loading the firmware over HCI without a serial flash and can give me some direction? I have even tried doing this on the evaluation kit, using the sample apps and Client Control and am having the same results. The difference is, my evaluation kit is for the A1 hardware so I am not sure that anything I compile with the latest A2 SDK is compatible at all with it. Both of the custom hardware projects are using the A2 chip.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShengY_96
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins Welcome!

Firstly, the 20706A1 and A2 part used different SDK. The A2 part use the WICED Studio while the A1 part use the WICED Smart Ready. So if you use the WICED Studio like 6.2, please use the A2 part to fit it.

Secondly, download the .hcd file with Client Control works well per my test:

1. Put my kit into recover mode(press SW3, then press SW2, hold 1s, release SW2, release SW3).

2. Open the Client control and open the HCI UART port use the baud rate 115200.

3. Build the hello_sensor with make target:demo.hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL build DIRECT_LOAD=1.

4. Use the Client Control to download the .hcd file into the kit. The the hello_sensor demo code works well.

So I believe the HCI commands should works.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ShengY_96
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins Welcome!

Firstly, the 20706A1 and A2 part used different SDK. The A2 part use the WICED Studio while the A1 part use the WICED Smart Ready. So if you use the WICED Studio like 6.2, please use the A2 part to fit it.

Secondly, download the .hcd file with Client Control works well per my test:

1. Put my kit into recover mode(press SW3, then press SW2, hold 1s, release SW2, release SW3).

2. Open the Client control and open the HCI UART port use the baud rate 115200.

3. Build the hello_sensor with make target:demo.hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL build DIRECT_LOAD=1.

4. Use the Client Control to download the .hcd file into the kit. The the hello_sensor demo code works well.

So I believe the HCI commands should works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I only have an evaluation kit for the A1 I will not be able to reproduce this test case.

My other two hardware projects are both using the A2 so I should be able to load a sample application onto these using a valid .hcd file and client control. I have a working application on a hardware project with the A2 using serial flash, however, if I use the .hcd file to load directly into RAM, the project still does not boot after the download from Client Control succeeds. If I reset power it loads the application from serial flash and runs normally. That project is complete however and I am only performing this test to gain insight into why a similar project without the serial flash part is not booting the application after a successful download.

Are there any steps I can take or tests I can run to gather more information on why the chip still seems to be in a "download" state instead of running the application?

Edit: Also, is there any hardware/circuit configuration on the evaluation kit that may be wrong/missing on these custom projects preventing the chip from booting the application at the end of the download?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you try with the ClienControl app belonging to older SDKs?

Attaching one here.

Do you tried with CYW20706's eval board or your own hardware? As I verified the CYW92070x eval board works well. So you can refer to the eval boards' hardware design which can be found in Wiced/Doc/CYW920706WCDEVAL_Hardware_User_Guide.pdf. 

Check the HCI_UART's voltage level after download, per my test the voltage level after Ram_download: Rx/Tx/CTS/RTs: 1/1/1/0

Regards

Jenson