Have I destroyed my PSOC4 CY8C4146AZI-S423

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a few PSOC-4 ICs and hand soldered them to an adapter board. Now when I try to use PSOC programmer (via Kitprog) to detect the uC, I get "FAILED!  Can not acquire device in SWD mode! "

I was under the impression that I might have messed up on the solder joints but I have tried 4 boards by now, each better than the last and still the response is the same.

While checking with the multimeter for voltage drops, I noticed that there is no voltage across VCCD (pin 37) an GND (Pin 38). Does that mean that the IC is destroyed?

The Kitprog detects the PSOC-5 -059 kit and PSOC-4 049 kit ICs.

Let me know if you need any more data or any other information.

Thanks in Advance,

Sujoy.

PS. I understand that the uC (CY8C4146AZI-S423) does not need any crystal or external clock source as it reads clock pulses from the programmer and later can use its own internal clock. Let me know if I am wrong.

Edit:- I would really appreciate a feedback before I throw the chips in the trash.

Message was edited by: sujoy bha

0 Likes
1 Solution
RyanZhao
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Sujoy,

Yes. You're correct. It doesn't need any external clock source unless you would like to use a crystal to trim its internal IMO.

Refer to the troubleshooting for program:

Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

Another AN about PSoC4 programming spec.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/programming-specifications/cy8c4xxx-cyblxxxx-programming-specif...

Thanks,

Ryan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RyanZhao

Hi Sujoy,

Yes. You're correct. It doesn't need any external clock source unless you would like to use a crystal to trim its internal IMO.

Refer to the troubleshooting for program:

Troubleshooting PSoC® 3/4/5LP Programming/Debugging Issues - KBA210619

Another AN about PSoC4 programming spec.

http://www.cypress.com/documentation/programming-specifications/cy8c4xxx-cyblxxxx-programming-specif...

Thanks,

Ryan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Ryan,

Thanks a lot for the links. They really helped.

I had not connected the VDDA pin with the VDDD pin. I don't know why that should matter but the bottom line is that it does.

Now the programmer detects the chips. Thankfully I didn't throw them away. Let's see if they do what I want them to do.

Thanks again.

Sujoy.

0 Likes
RyanZhao

Dear Sujoy,

VDDA and VDDD, see the description in AN57821.

For proper operation of PSoC4, VDDA must be the highest voltage present on the device. All other supply pins must be less than or equal to VDDA.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Likes