Name of the connected device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am wondering if this is possible:

- there are two CYBLE devices - one being Central and the other(s) are Pheripherals. Peripherals are of different types and differ by the name. Once a Peripheral is connected with the Central, is it possible for the Central to get Peripheral's name (so the Central knows which kind of a Peripheral is it connected with)? I know that this is (of course) possible during scanning phase, but I am not sure if this is possible after connection is established?

0 Likes
1 Solution
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

There is no application level API to read the peer connected device's name. However, there is API to read the peer connected device's address which is  CyBle_GapGetPeerBdAddr() and can be used to identify the peripheral device. Refer the BLE component datasheet for more details.

-> The indirect way to see the peer connected device' name could be - you can declare a custom characteristics and the device name can be written to it and on connection with a peer device ,you can read it.

-Gyan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

There is no application level API to read the peer connected device's name. However, there is API to read the peer connected device's address which is  CyBle_GapGetPeerBdAddr() and can be used to identify the peripheral device. Refer the BLE component datasheet for more details.

-> The indirect way to see the peer connected device' name could be - you can declare a custom characteristics and the device name can be written to it and on connection with a peer device ,you can read it.

-Gyan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I supposed that fetching connected device's name is not possible.

Sure, that's one of the ways to do it. Another way (which I finally choose) is to restrict address range for each device family and then use that info as a "selector". Thanks.

0 Likes