Open Source WICED SDK

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi WICED team,

Have you considered releasing the WICED SDK under an open source license?

You could publish the SDK on GitHub and allow online communities to build around WICED, similar to the Raspberry Pi and Arduino ecosystems.

Publishing to GitHub also lets WICED developer integrate new releases more easily, using regular version control methods.

My personal angle is that I would like to put my WICED project online at some point, but can't do so because of the WICED SDK license.

/Ruben.

4 Replies
StKi_2157971
Level 3
Level 3
First like received

Hi!

I want to know that, also.

BTW, there are already some project(including all WICED SDK source files) in github as below.

Search · wiced · GitHub

Please let me know if I can open WICED SDK in github.

Regards, Steve

0 Likes

The Broadcom Community License Agreement (Updated 3-31-15) prohibits the posting of our source code to Github.

ahunter gangi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Broadcom should really reconsider their position, as they are shooting themselves in the foot with this decision. Open-sourcing it will attract more contributors, get more testing coverage on more platforms.

As I understand it, third-party components licenses are the issue. Is it just ThreadX/NetX? Would they consider open-sourcing it with just LwIP/FreeRTOS stack?

0 Likes

We have to weigh all the pros and cons. It's not something we've done before but we are not opposed to it.

0 Likes