ADC Sigma-Delta Range and AC signals..

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear community,

I've been working with ADC sigma delta in resolution of 18 bits. I need to rest 2 signals (differential signals), like 2-5mV ac signals. Despite they're very small I need to put them over an offset, in this case of 1.024V available from psoc, 'cos I want to preserve low level of noise as  suggestions observed in AN84783 page 11 : Input ± Vref to have the lowest noise and I can't bypass the buffer 'cos I have observed offset falls to 0.980V but even when I change to rail to rail or level shifter there are no changes; offset still falls.

In page 9 of reference document of ADC Delta-Sigma 3.30 the range with Input ± Vref  with my Vref=1.024V on offset also should be: -1.024±1.024= 0V to 2.048. With all of these considerations I have the next questions:

1.- Why in example of CE95271 with the same condition as I, in page 2 says that if positive enter of ADC is 0 the converted value is -1.024? or if is 1.024 the value is 0? so the range doesn't go from 0V to 2.048 as page 9 of ADC Delta-Sigma 3.30? Please clarify this I'm very confused.

2.-. I have read there's a example of how to manage negative voltages on psoc, blog that I couldn't find unfortunately, but is related on applying offset, in this case 1.024 as AGND. Could you tell me where I can find this:  http://www.cypress.com/blog/psoc-hacker-blog/measuring-negative-voltage-using-psoc1????

3.- Is it possible to interface directly these signals without offset moving input reference as low as Input ± 0.0625 * Vref?

4.- Do you suggest is better implement an instrumental amplifier with pga's and opamps instead of using ADC Delta-sigma? or in worst case an external INA?

I hope you can help me with your promptly response, thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Look at  Ad8232

At this forum there are several discussions about the ECG

my old projects for PSoC5

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Too many questions! It is better to describe specs requirements (voltage, offset, frequency, resolution, impedance, etc) and a source of the signal (with schematic).

2. For Handling negative voltage on PSoC see this thread and links within:

I need an ADC can take Negative voltage

and this

PSoC 6 MCU Current Digital to Analog Converter (IDAC)

4. DelSig-ADC has differential input +buffer amplifier. You don't need Instrumentation Amp made from internal Opamps - it is worse than DelSig native differential input. 2-5mV can be handled by PSoC (but the input signals must be in specified range).

/odissey1

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response,

Do you think ADC Sigma-Delta is capable to manage signals as low as 5mV p-p without external circuity?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

0 Likes

ADC Sigma-Delta is capable to measure AC signals as low as 200 mV p-p without external circuitry.

it for Buffer mode = Level Shift or Bypass Buffer (I got even up to 400mV p-p)

and you can increase the buffer gain.
AC.png

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eveniy, Thanks for your response, but you need level shifters to work, don't you? 'cos if signal goes is ±200mV p-p PSOC5LP can' handle more than -200mV, this could damage the device. In fact you have a response for this:

https://community.cypress.com/message/155563#155563

Tell me about level shifters, thanks in advance.

0 Likes

I do not use a  level shifters if the signal is less than ± 100 mV. The input of the ADC has protective diodes.

Therefore, it is sufficient to install a resistor at the input to to protect ADC against large input signal.

0 Likes

I tried to apply negative voltages to PSoC inputs, and it gets clipped at about -0.7V by protection diodes, no damage to PSoC observed. Obviously, there should be a resistor (~1k is enough) placed at such input to protect the diode from overrcurrent.

/odissey1

P.S. What frequency range for AC signal you are looking for? or it is a DC signal 5mV?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. It's a signal from ECG sensor, which I need to mount over a CD level. That's way my doubts.

0 Likes

Look at  Ad8232

At this forum there are several discussions about the ECG

my old projects for PSoC5

0 Likes
DeborahRich
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

At this forum, there exist several conferences around the ECG

0 Likes