IPv6 - How to enable and test/verify functionality

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiMc_1688136
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 50 questions asked 10 solutions authored

Are there any extra steps required to enable IPv6 in WICED? I am new to IPv6 so I do not really know where to begin in order to test IPv6 functions.

When my app starts up, either in FreeRTOS+lwIP or ThreadX+Netx_duo, i see the message

IPv6 network ready IP: FE80:0000:0000:0000:BAD7:AFFF:FE28:B672 (or FE80::BAD7:AFFF:FE28:B672 in the lwip build)

Should I be able to ping this address from a Windows PC on the same LAN? Ping returns Destination host unreachable. The PC is able to ping the module's IPv4 address.

Do I need to run a DHCPv6 server on my LAN to provide an address? It does not look like my Netgear has a built in DHCPv6, are there any PC based servers?

I am running WICED 6.1 with a CYW43907.

0 Likes
1 Solution

As long as you are communicating within the same subnet, no IP prefix is required.

But when you need a global IP address, then the subnet should be distributed to the nodes to enable routing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NiMc_1688136
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 50 questions asked 10 solutions authored

With two PC's on the wireless network, I can ping between the two computers using the IPv6 local address and a assigned address from a DHCP server (dibbler)

The CYW43907 does not appear to pull an IPv6 address from the DHCP server not does it respond to a ping attempt.

I built the console application in WICED and attempted to run iperf in IPv6 mode between the wi-fi module and a laptop and I was unable to make a connection.

** These tests are with the ThreadX / NetX-Duo options.

0 Likes

As long as you are communicating within the same subnet, no IP prefix is required.

But when you need a global IP address, then the subnet should be distributed to the nodes to enable routing.

Zhengbao_Zhang
250 sign-ins First comment on KBA 10 questions asked

Hi  Nick:

Actually I did a test based on 6.1 sdk release, and  I used APSTA application for the test.

add the results here, it should prove ipv6 can work well in the release .  but my environment is

Win7 wifi pinging wiced softAP,  and make the iphelper service working before the connection.

ping process.bmp

0 Likes

I tried apsta with FreeRTOS & lwIP = not able to ping with destination host unreachable error.

I tried apsta with ThreadX & NetX Duo = able to ping

Why can I not use lwIP? IPv6 is supported. My application has to use FreeRTOS + lwIP and support IPv6 going forward.

iphelper is enabled, windows 10

By the way, will this only work with a host using iphelper?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

add my test patch,  the patch is based on 6.1 sdk release .  The Ipv6 ping function works well, but don't know if it can match all the needs, thanks.

0 Likes