Control MAC layer directly by WICED API?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TaGo_2353976
Level 4
Level 4
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hi

The customer would like to make Ethernet to Wi-Fi converter by CYW43907.

In such case, CYW43907 will receive Ethernet frame via MII interface and transfer it as Wi-Fi as follows.

(Not to use L3 layer or higher in this case.)

Host CPU =MII=> CYW43907 =Wi-FI=> AP

In order to do that, we need to control MAC layer by WICED API but I can not find it in the documents.

Q1: Is it possible to configure it by WICED API?

Q2: If yes, could you tell me which API we should use to control MAC?

Q3: Ideally, is there any sample source code for such application?

Thank you.

--TAK

0 Likes
1 Solution
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello Takuya,

The possible way to implement the application you mentioned would require higher layers. The MAC layer can not be accessed directly. The device should receive the ethernet packets, create packets for wireless transmission and send it through TCP, UDP etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PriyaM_16
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello Takuya,

The possible way to implement the application you mentioned would require higher layers. The MAC layer can not be accessed directly. The device should receive the ethernet packets, create packets for wireless transmission and send it through TCP, UDP etc.

Hi Riya,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I think if the customer use L4 or higher protocol, such as TCP or MQTT,

your suggestion could be used.

However, the customer will use only MAC , not plan to use IP or higher layer.

So, I think WICED can not achieve this case because there is no API to control MAC of Wi-Fi in WICED .

Is my understanding right?

—TAK

0 Likes

Do you have any comments for my last question?

0 Likes

Yes Takuya, Your understanding is right.

BeDe_2507241
Level 4
Level 4
First like received

It depends on how do you want to implement this.

1- If the Ethernet packets are destined to the CYW board, then you can create a packet pool in your application to transmit the received packets over WIFI. But note that this might simply result in buffer overflow if the incoming speed is higher.

Using WICED SDK, however, you can change channel access parameters to expedite packet transmission. For example you can use voice or vide sockets to enhance reliability.

2- if the packets are not destined to the CYW board, then you need to ensure all packets are delivered to the app irrespective to their MAC/IP address.

0 Likes