WICED Static Web resources on external Flash

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all, I am new to the WICED framework so there may be an obvious solution to this.  I am using a Type1LD Wi-Fi and BT module with WICED 6.1.  I have noticed that by default RF firmware is being placed on external Flash but static Web resources are being placed in internal program Flash.  The decision making for this appears to be in wiced_config.mk

~/WICED-Studio-6.1/43xxx_Wi-Fi/tools/makefiles/wiced_config.mk:

416  ALL_RESOURCES := $(sort $(foreach comp,$(PROCESSED_COMPONENTS),$($(comp)_RESOURCES_EXPANDED)))

418: LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES += resources/$(WIFI_FIRMWARE_BIN)

419: LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES += resources/$(WIFI_FIRMWARE_CLM_BLOB)

421  ifeq ($(RESOURCES_LOCATION), RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS)

422: INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES += $(filter-out $(LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES), $(ALL_RESOURCES))

423  endif

It appears that the only location configurable resources are WIFI_FIRMWARE_BIN and WIFI_FIRMWARE_CLM_BLOB and all other resources will be placed in internal Flash.

Before I begin hacking up the wiced_config.mk file, is there a straight forward way to tell the framework build process to always place static resources, Web or otherwise,  into external Flash?

Thanks.

P.S. I have seen this post but I did not find it helpful.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GauravS_31
10 questions asked 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

I tested snip.apsta and checked config.mk in the build folder and I could see resources such as html, png and others in INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES. However, when I added any resource under LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES in the application makefile, I did not see that resource in INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES in config.mk. So you can define the resource as LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES += resources/apps/apsta/ap_top.html in application makefile.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GauravS_31

Use download_apps in your build statement.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thanks for the response, however, I am using 'download_apps' in my build statement.  Here is my build statement: 'my_project.my_app-MurataType1LD download download_apps run JTAG=Olimex_ARM-USB-TINY-H'.  According to the table on page 8 of the quick start guide, download and download_apps are not mutually exclusive.  Even when using this build statement, Web resources are placed in internal flash. As mentioned in my original post, wiced_config.mk does not appear to consider Web resources to be location configurable. 

0 Likes
GauravS_31

I tested snip.apsta and checked config.mk in the build folder and I could see resources such as html, png and others in INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES. However, when I added any resource under LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES in the application makefile, I did not see that resource in INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES in config.mk. So you can define the resource as LOCATION_CONFIGURABLE_RESOURCES += resources/apps/apsta/ap_top.html in application makefile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and thanks, this appears to be working, however, there is a small mystery.  When I look at config.mk, it's still showing the html resources in INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES but when I examine the external Flash file system image and the internal firmware image I can see that they are indeed being moved to external flash: 

RESOURCES_LOCATION        := RESOURCES_IN_WICEDFS

INTERNAL_MEMORY_RESOURCES :=     resources/apps/apsta/ap_top.html resources/images/cypresslogo.png resources/images/cypresslogo_line.png resources/images/favicon.ico

0 Likes