developing around a psoc using linux in 2018

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I am a student, and this is my second attempt to trying to find out how I can code for my PSoC5LP Dev Board on Linux.

(if it is of any relevance: Debian, 32bit, i686, refurbished hardware - not everyone buys a Windows10-Touch-Thingy every second year)

Unfortunately (with my current limited knowledge), there seems no way to do that 😞

* PSoC Creator was started using M$ .NET, which may quickly look fancy in the first place, but is apparently a dead end when it comes to portability.

* Other Cypress software is also purely Windows

* the old m8cutils project seems to be discontinued

* there may be a way to use e.g. OpenOCD to program the board using SWR or JTAG, and to compile with gcc, but as far as I can see, there is no hope to write anything sensible without some support from a standard library. And I don't see one. If there is, please point me to an example, since I was not able to find one.

* It is said to be possible to run the Creator software via VMware or thelike - but this forces me to support their (M$) doing by buying an expensive license (which I will never do), and secondly I go crazy using this unusable windows surface after a few minutes...

i) Am I wrong/missing something?

Some months ago, iym​ mentioned in Creator for Mac that there would be "new tools" supporting "Mac OS and other OS's" in 2018.

ii) Have I missed anything so far?

iii) What exactly is planned - and is it planned for linux, indeed? (I'd like to know if it is worth coming back then...)

many thanks for any reply

Stefan

PS: In the meantime, I'll practise with a nicely working cross-platform stm32 toolstack.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Apple and Linux OS Support for PSoC® Software and Kits - KBA87545

You can check the Release Notes of Creator which is there in Help section too for the info.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Apple and Linux OS Support for PSoC® Software and Kits - KBA87545

You can check the Release Notes of Creator which is there in Help section too for the info.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply and the link.

I take from that knowledge base entry that at the moment there is no way and i must wait.

Do you have any knowledge about whether the situation will change this year, to some extent?

thank you, and best regards

0 Likes