debug and release mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
gean_3054931
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes given 5 likes given First like received

Hi,

how to build fx3 firmware in release mode ?what is the difference between debug and release mode building?

thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

We have provided four different libraries in the Cypress EZ USB SDK. i.e,

1. Debug

2. Release

3. Profile Debug

4. Profile Release

Some of the example projects are configured with all four types of Build configurations, so that we can select and build based on our choice.

If you want to use the API (CyU3PthreadPerfGet) that report RTOS Thread Performance.

The libraries correspond to this API is provided only in Profiling Enabled Build.

Therefore, the project need to be build either using Profile Debug or Profile Release.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

View solution in original post

8 Replies
HirotakaT_91
500 replies posted 250 replies posted 100 replies posted

Hi,

The firmware image size in Release mode is smaller compared to the Debug mode image.

The Debug mode image contains additional debug symbols to allow the user to debug using JTAG.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

thank you,

how to build it with cypress ez usb sdk?

regards,

geethanjali

0 Likes

Hi,

On the Cypress EZ USB Suite (Cypress EZ USB SDK), you can click hammer icon to build your firmware.

You can select Debug or Release by clicking drop down list on the right side of hammer icon.

Cypress EZ USB Suite consists of Eclipse IDE development environment and GNU tool chain to help you build the firmware development environment.

Also included are the drivers and software examples to let you easily link to PCs with FX3.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

thank you,

debug and release mode configurations are there,

what is the profiledebug and release?

0 Likes

We have provided four different libraries in the Cypress EZ USB SDK. i.e,

1. Debug

2. Release

3. Profile Debug

4. Profile Release

Some of the example projects are configured with all four types of Build configurations, so that we can select and build based on our choice.

If you want to use the API (CyU3PthreadPerfGet) that report RTOS Thread Performance.

The libraries correspond to this API is provided only in Profiling Enabled Build.

Therefore, the project need to be build either using Profile Debug or Profile Release.

Best regards,

Hirotaka Takayama

thank you,

where i can i find these information completly.

regards,

geethanjali.

0 Likes

Hirotaka Takayama,

Thank you for describing additional methods of debug supported with the FX3 EZ USB SDK.

I would also like any supporting information describing the "Profile Debug" and "Profile Release" processes.

Regards,

Greg

0 Likes

The use of Profile debud and release is: There are some APIs whose library is not included in default debug and release mode.

If you wanna to use such APIs, you need to build the code with Profile debug or release.

Example APIs are CyU3PDeviceGetCpuLoad, CyU3PDeviceGetDriverLoad, CyU3PDeviceGetThreadLoad, CyU3PThreadPerfGet and etc., Search for profilling in API guide for other APIs.

0 Likes