Sample and Hold for PSOC6 for "simultaneous" ADC application

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RiTa_288331
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Greetings all!

We have an AC/DC converter application that we want to implement with the PSOC6 development board.  We want to use the PSOC6 because of its floating point capability. 

We want to make 4 simultaneous ADC measurements (input voltage, input current, output voltage, output current) at a rate of ~100kHz.  I see that the PSOC6 only has the scanning SAR as an ADC option. 

Question 1: How many SAR ADCs can I use in the PSOC6?  I'm looking for a "resource explorer" tool that tells me how many analog blocks each ADC uses, and how many blocks I have left.

Question 2: Assuming that I do NOT have 4 ADCs available, then I will use 1 ADC and 4 sample/holds to achieve a "simultaneous" sampling effect.  Is there a sample and hold component block for the PSOC6?  Or should I make a "generic" one with an opamp + analog muxer + external capacitor?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

To your questions -

1. PSoC 6 supports only one SAR ADC in hardware because it only has one SAR block in hardware (the ADC is not made up multiple Analog blocks like PSoC 1 devices). Regarding resource explorer - PSoC Creator does support one. Go to "View -> Resource Meter" to see the resource usage.

2. PSoC 6 has two Op-amps that can be used to implement 2 S/H circuits with external caps. For 4, you will need 2 additional op-amps externally.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
MeenakshiR_71
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hello,

To your questions -

1. PSoC 6 supports only one SAR ADC in hardware because it only has one SAR block in hardware (the ADC is not made up multiple Analog blocks like PSoC 1 devices). Regarding resource explorer - PSoC Creator does support one. Go to "View -> Resource Meter" to see the resource usage.

2. PSoC 6 has two Op-amps that can be used to implement 2 S/H circuits with external caps. For 4, you will need 2 additional op-amps externally.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Meenakshi Sundaram R

0 Likes