CYW20719 in HCI mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation kit. I just want to use the CYW20719 in spec-compatible HCI mode, as pointed out in the WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol.pdf:

"The CYW207xx devices support two operating modes: the Bluetooth Host Controller Interface (HCI) mode and the

Application mode"

"When the CYW207xx device powers on, boot logic determines whether a serial flash is connected and, if so, whether

it contains a valid application image. If there is a valid application, the CYW207xx device loads and executes the

application. If there is no serial flash, then the CYW207xx device boots into and stays in the Bluetooth HCI mode

where it waits for MCU (host) commands"

The latter is exactly what I want: I have my own BT-HCI compliant application to control the device via standard HCI commands. I am trying to find out how to program the controller with an 'invalid' hex image or, as an alternative, to write a "HCI pass through" application. Both are not obvious, since documentation is insufficient on this. The eclipse tool chain is not documented in detail, the process of generating and converting the rom image, the involved scripts and executables are not explained.

Can anybody provide some guidance on this?

Is there a demo project available that simply forwards HCI commands / events between host and controller?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could do one thing.

1. Create a new project in WICED with just one file which is empty:

#include "sparcommon.h"

APPLICATION_START() {}

2. Download this project from WICED onto your board.

3. Send HCI Reset (01 03 0C 00) at 115200 baud on the HCI UART.

4. Once you receive command complete, you can send standard HCI commands. Just make sure that the HCI commands are preceded with a 01. The response contains a 04 at the beginning.

"If there is no serial flash, then the CYW207xx device boots into and stays in the Bluetooth HCI mode where it waits for MCU (host) commands". In this mode, only some HCI commands which are required for downloading an application are supported. All HCI commands are not supported.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could do one thing.

1. Create a new project in WICED with just one file which is empty:

#include "sparcommon.h"

APPLICATION_START() {}

2. Download this project from WICED onto your board.

3. Send HCI Reset (01 03 0C 00) at 115200 baud on the HCI UART.

4. Once you receive command complete, you can send standard HCI commands. Just make sure that the HCI commands are preceded with a 01. The response contains a 04 at the beginning.

"If there is no serial flash, then the CYW207xx device boots into and stays in the Bluetooth HCI mode where it waits for MCU (host) commands". In this mode, only some HCI commands which are required for downloading an application are supported. All HCI commands are not supported.

0 Likes

Hi,

Where i can locate the HCI UART window to send commands

0 Likes