Is there a way to "unbrick" a CYBLE-212023-10?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiPl_3175256
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

I have a CYBLE-212023-10 module soldered to a board.

I tried to use the CySmart Android app to upgrade the firmware to the latest version using the "CYBLE-2120XX-X0 EZ-Serial FW Image V1.1.1 (.hex, app.cyacd, stack.cyacd)" download, but now the module is completely unresponsive. I think I must have messed up the upgrade somehow.

Is there a hardware-level way to force it into the OTA bootloader so I can try again? Eg a pin I can pull low during power-on, or something like that?

I'd prefer not to have to remove it. I'm not sure the main PCB will survive.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have an external programmer and access to the JTAG/SWD pins, then you can reprogram the chip if the firmware on it is bricked.

A programmer like this: PSoC MiniProg3 Programmer/Debugger CY8CKIT-002 - Cypress Semiconductor Corp - Programmers, Emulators...

The minimum is a 5-pin connection to the chip to reprogram it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Power-cycling the board might have an effect. I believe the bootloader will default to the OTA upgrade if the firmware upload failed, but if it succeeded and put bricked code into the unit then I have no idea

0 Likes

This doesn't help. The  BLE module appears dead - it doesn't send a boot event on its serial port, and it doesn't start advertising on the air.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have an external programmer and access to the JTAG/SWD pins, then you can reprogram the chip if the firmware on it is bricked.

A programmer like this: PSoC MiniProg3 Programmer/Debugger CY8CKIT-002 - Cypress Semiconductor Corp - Programmers, Emulators...

The minimum is a 5-pin connection to the chip to reprogram it.

0 Likes