NVSRAM CY14B104NA Single Event Upset - Multi Bit Upset mitigation query

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable
        A popular on-line encyclopedia page informed me that memory device manufacturers protect against MBUs affecting single words by having the cells organised so that physically adjacent cells are not part of a single word of memory. Thus a MBU appears as multiple Single Bit Upsets in different words in RAM. The article did not detail whether this was only a practice associated with ECC memory. Using non-ECC memory, I plan to use three copies of "SEU protected" data, and want to align the blocks to ensure that an MBU does not identically affect two of the copies. Where can I learn about the memory layout of the particular part I am using - CY14B104NA - so that I can align the blocks with care and avoid MBUs causing an identical corruption in two of my copies?   
0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Through the Cypress MyCase assistance, I was supplied with a .pdf detailing the device topology and showing the translation of External Address lines A0 to A17 with Internal Row and Column Address lines. Address changes that just affect the lsbit of the Internal Column Address and/or just the lsbit of the Row Address result in addressing physically adjacent memory. For this device, addresses that differ by just Address Lines 0 and 9 are physically adjacent memory locations. As in my case, others may need to consider the external bus mapping to their processor interface, as, particularly using this 16-bit wide part, it is possible that the processor has an AD(0) line that may not be mapped to this device.   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application note AN15979 indicates that MBU is "virtually impossible" due to the spacing of adjacent cells, and that no MBU had been recorded "in all SER testing" at the point that the application note was written.

Non-the-less, as a general guide, it is always good to know how physically adjacent cells are addressed.  In absence of this info, using three copies of your critical data, the base address for each of which differ by three different powers of 2 from the other two, should help keep your data safe from MBU.

0 Likes